automotive

Old 05-02-03, 09:33 AM
harmonje
Visiting Guest
Question automotive

I have a 92 Saturn and when I start it up there is a squealing coming from the engine. It started when I only turned on the air conditioner, but now it is all the time. It will stop squealing after 45-60 seconds. It's also bad after the rain. It's not the belts. I was told it was a motor that is not getting any oil. What is it and how do I fix it. Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-03, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
Well, first off I think you can eliminate the motor itself as the cause. First sign of a motor not getting oil would be the hellacious
knocking of the bearings. An engine that squeeled from lack of oil would likley be in it's final death throes as it seized up.

More likely either a belt or you have an accessory going bad. Things to check: belt tensioner pulley, idler pulley, accessories (ac compressor, alternator, power steering pump, water pump).

For what it's worth, the serpentine belt on my Chevy W-4 wrecker (350 gas engine) screams like a banshee when the temperature and humidity are just right.

My suspicion would be a bad ac compressor as you said it started doing it when the ac was turned on and now is constant, but my first checks would be the belt tensioner and idler pulleys. Also, unless the belt is brand new, I would replace that first just to eliminate that as a possibility.

Old 05-02-03, 10:20 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. If the belt is over four years old, it's time.

Search this Thread