Heat gauge

Old 05-04-03, 09:55 AM
Legion1
Visiting Guest
Heat gauge

1992 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4, 109,000mi 3.1L V6 Automatic. When i bought this vehicle 2 years ago the dealer who i bought it from was replacing the temp sensor because the gauge bounced, this was before i purchased the vehicle and when i bougfht it i noticed no gauge problems. But now 2 years down the road for the past month or so the heat guage will fluctuate, within 2 minutes fo starting the engine it will be pinged all the way up on hot, then slowly slide back down about halfway, then back up and down on occasion. Is there any known problems with these temp gauges? What would be my best option since I cannot accurately read the temperature on my vehicle, an aftermarket gauge? Seeing how the OEM part has been replaced somewhere in the range of 3 times. (The dealer had to replace it 2 times because one was faulty upon installation) Any ideas? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-03, 01:03 PM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
Are you low on coolant? If you are low on coolant the gauge will spike while it is in air because it heats up so much more quickly than the coolant, then when the coolant hits the sensor it will read the actual coolant temp, and it will keep bouncing until the coolant and air are the same temp.

Old 05-04-03, 03:14 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like a defective stat or an air pocket to me.

Old 05-04-03, 05:07 PM
Legion1
Visiting Guest
Thanks again, coolant level was fine, will check thermostat next because last winter it seemed to take a bit for warm air to come out of the vents.