Ford Windstar "TCC"

Old 05-04-03, 04:05 PM
89LSC4ME
Visiting Guest
Question Ford Windstar "TCC"

1996 Ford Windstar 3.8L. Can you please tell me where the TCC is located. The vehicle shutters throughout acceleration and the TCC stuck was mentioned. I'd like to unplug it and try.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-03, 09:32 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Unhappy No can do

Your Windstar is OBD-II compliant. This means that the Powertrain Control Module (computer) "checks up" on various output devices. If the device in question, in this case the Torque Convertor Clutch, isn't working, the PCM will know it (by comparing engine RPM and TSS and/or VSS signals). The PCM will then store a trouble code (typically P1744) and turn the check engine light on.

Old 05-05-03, 05:26 AM
89LSC4ME
Visiting Guest
windstar TCC

Can this TCC be unplugged like on other vehicles and still drive?

Old 05-05-03, 09:01 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No, I do not suggest you do that on an OBDII vehicle. Get it fixed correctly.

OBDII is a whole new ballgame. Problems can't be bypassed, they must be repaired. Too much depends on each other in an OBDII system.

Old 05-05-03, 10:51 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
I just re-read the original post. You stated that the transmission shudders 'throughout acceleration'. The TCC is not active in 1st or 2nd gear, and may not be active in 3rd gear(depends on the trans. & vehicle combo...I'm not exactly sure on the Windstar).

If your vehicle shudders when accelerating from a dead stop, the TCC is NOT the problem.

Old 05-06-03, 06:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Please describe the symptoms a little bit better. It may not even be transmission related.

Has the vehicle seen regular maintenance? How's the fuel pressure? Any trouble codes stored?

Old 05-06-03, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Joe_F
Please describe the symptoms a little bit better. It may not even be transmission related.

Has the vehicle seen regular maintenance? How's the fuel pressure? Any trouble codes stored?
Speaking from personal experience, a 1996-era Ford 3.8
liter engine matched up to 4 speed automatic tranny (3spd
+ overdrive) is a good candidate for having a cracked
direct clutch apply piston. Sluggish or non-existant 1-2
upshifts are somewhat diagnostic, especially in the
Windstars. The head of the piston is what cracks and
there's no more pressure in the circuit to apply the clutch.

Mine dumped at 70000 miles and the van sat for a year while
I fought Ford to honor the extended warranty I had. (They
owned the warranty company!) I finally gave the van back
to the bank.

Christopher Tarana

Old 05-07-03, 09:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
That is true too. Also if the wrong fluid is used or the torque converter was not drained during the tranny service, shudder is a possibility.

Old 05-08-03, 07:54 PM
89LSC4ME
Visiting Guest
Windstar

Sorry for the delay I was actually asking the question for a good friend. I called and asked for more info, he tells me for the first couple minutes it runs normal after that at highway speeds it really feels sluggish, tired amd sucked-out. He just had a compression test on the engine and the readings were even at all cyls. I could be wrong but I thought he said new ones read 150lbs his read 145lbs. Not bad for an engine with 270,000klm's on it. He is the second owner he took over at about 199,000klm's. My friend's maint schedule is pretty good but before he got it is unknown. Anyway he also had the tranny pan removed and the tranny inspected apparently there was alot of metal in the bottom of the pan and something he mentioned as a darkish substance the technician said it was from the torque converter and the metal from the tranny itself. Anyway they put a new filter new fluid and he said it ran great for a few days and now it is back to running ****ty again. I guess he is looking for a tranny. Thanks for all the input.