Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Timing 94 Elantra

Visiting Guest

05-05-03, 07:31 AM   #1  
John Wolfe
Timing 94 Elantra

The water pump recently went out. To replace the pump the timing belt had to be removed. Replaced the cam timing belt and a second smaller timing belt (anyone know what this is for?). Now the car idles choppy and when put in gear it dies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-05-03, 08:51 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Recheck your work, you may have left something disconnected. Use autolibrary.org to guide you in timing.

Visiting Guest

05-05-03, 08:57 AM   #3  
John Wolfe
Joe,

What about the base time? Would that need reset? I noticed the timing marks on the timing belt cover.

John

Visiting Guest

05-05-03, 09:14 AM   #4  
Joe_F
First recheck your work. Chances are you may have left a vacuum line off or something is missing where it shouldn't be .

Then look at the timing. Chances are it wouldn't really run if the timing was way off like that. It could also be other things (fuel pressure problem, etc).

05-05-03, 01:40 PM   #5  
The second small belt is for the balance shaft. If its misaligned you will get this shaking. I hope this helps.

OM

Visiting Guest

05-05-03, 06:36 PM   #6  
Joe_F
True.

Visiting Guest

05-22-03, 09:02 AM   #7  
John Wolfe
Rechecked the work and the car has ran fine for a couple of weeks. While on the highway the car lost acceleration. It would not accelerate past 40mph and the rpm's were at 4000. Once the car came to a stop it died. Now it is very hard to start and will not stay running.

Could it be out of time again?

Visiting Guest

05-22-03, 09:09 AM   #8  
Joe_F
How's the fuel pressure and spark? When was the last time it saw a tuneup or maintenance?

Visiting Guest

05-22-03, 09:51 AM   #9  
SpiderGear
Anyone that owns a Hyundai product should know of this site.

I came across it when I couldn't get any info from anywhere while I was changing the timing belt on a 1989 Sonata GL. I couldn't even buy a Manual at the time because they told me for my model they didn't publish them no more.

I have downloaded a complete Shop Manual now, in pdf.files!!

Give it a try John, I know you will be happy that you did.

And maybe Joe_F would like to add it to his list with the Chilton Library.

http://www.hmaservice.com/

Once there Click on Service Information and then Web Tech!!
Then select the year and model from the top tool bar!!

Sometimes there is a small file that has to be downloaded first which only takes a few seconds.

Hope you all enjoy it !!.............. Norm

Visiting Guest

05-22-03, 10:51 AM   #10  
John Wolfe
Just replaced plugs and wires.

Visiting Guest

05-22-03, 11:42 AM   #11  
Joe_F
Added to my signature file below. Thanks.

Visiting Guest

05-22-03, 11:43 AM   #12  
Joe_F
Please elaborate at length what has been done to the car. We're not getting anywhere fast. Answer my questions in kind and we'll get somewhere .

Use the manual and link kindly provided by the previous poster which is a Hyundai service manual.

Visiting Guest

05-22-03, 04:37 PM   #13  
John Wolfe
Replaced water pump, spark plugs, wires, both timing belts, auxillary belts, shocks, struts, tires, and brake pads for both front and rear.

In checking the spark plugs there is no spark.

Visiting Guest

05-22-03, 04:40 PM   #14  
Joe_F
Check the coil and the ignition module using the Hyundai link the other poster was kind enough to provide.

Take off the distributor cap and have someone crank the vehicle. If the ignition rotor doesn't turn, the timing belt is wasted or slipped.

Visiting Guest

05-22-03, 05:09 PM   #15  
John Wolfe
The timing belt is in good shape and hasn't slipped. There is a top cover that I removed and can see where the belt goes over the cams. The timing marks on the cams still line up, so I believe it is still in time.

The engine cranks over, it just will not start. I will test the coil tomorrow.

This car has a disrtibutorless system. Is there still some type of distributor somewhere?

Visiting Guest

06-11-03, 10:03 AM   #16  
John Wolfe
The epic continues. To check fuel pressure I needed two special adapters that attach to the inlet of the fuel filter and then to the gauge. No one in town carried the adapters. I found a place thanks to one of your links, but it cost $180, and a new fuel pump was only $120. I went ahead and replaced the fuel pump.

Bad news is that its still will not start. The ignition coil is good, new wires and they all are firing, and new plugs. Replaced the fuel filter as well.

If I advance the crankshaft sensor the car will start, but I have to keep my foot on the accelerator for it to stay running, and it runs very rough.

Is it possible that the the timing belt could have slipped where it goes around the crank shaft sprocket, and not the cam shafts?

I have brought the number one piston to TDC and the timing marks on the cam shafts line up accordingly. To see the timing marks on the crank shaft sprocket, and oil sprocket I have to remove the timing cover.

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Visiting Guest

06-11-03, 11:02 AM   #17  
Joe_F
Aye, another reason not to own a Hyundai . I cannot see the adapters being that different from regular vehicles that a fuel pressure tester would service. Did you try Autozone for a fuel pressure gauge? I even think Sears has them cheaper than that .

What brand of fuel pump was used?

Visiting Guest

06-11-03, 12:31 PM   #18  
John Wolfe
I checked autozone for the fuel pressure gauge. They did not have any of the needed adapters. My understanding is that on current Hyundai models they have the attachment on the fuel rail like other cars.

I bought the fuel pump at Autozone. I am not sure of the brand.

Visiting Guest

06-11-03, 12:33 PM   #19  
John Wolfe
On the Hyundai the fuel is pumped through a bolt that connects to the fuel filter. The bolt has a hole at the top and is hollow.

Visiting Guest

06-11-03, 01:13 PM   #20  
Joe_F
That's a banjo style bolt. I'm pretty sure Honda used the same type of fitting. Most Japanese cars use these style bolts. I think one of the adapters in the tester would have worked.

If the part is not an OEM part, your problem is likely there. Get an OEM Hyundai unit.

Visiting Guest

06-12-03, 05:13 AM   #21  
John Wolfe
I have already replaced the fuel pump. Should I still test the fuel pressure?

The car still will not stay running, and is difficult to start. It cranks okay.

Visiting Guest

06-12-03, 08:57 AM   #22  
Joe_F
Yup, have to go back to the basics .

Search this Thread