1997 Z71 Power Steering Pump Removal

Old 05-05-03, 09:54 AM
Texas Longhorn
Visiting Guest
1997 Z71 Power Steering Pump Removal

I've got a '97 Chevy K1500 with a bad power steering pump. I've removed both lines, the pulley, and the mounting bolts that both Chilton's & Haynes agree need to be removed. I still can't get the thing out. Are the two manuals leaving something out, or is there a trick to removing the pump?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-03, 10:28 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have you had a look at the online Chilton book (autolibrary) below to see if they have something?

Old 05-05-03, 10:31 AM
Texas Longhorn
Visiting Guest
I have. They have the same instructions as my printed Chilton's, verbatim. Under the hhod, it looks like I need to remove a lot more than the book indicates, but I'm hoping that's not the case.

Old 05-05-03, 10:34 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
The link below is leads to the Genuine GM service procedure for your project. See if it's any better than the info you've been using.

www.batauto.com/techs/GM_service_procedure.zip

Old 05-06-03, 06:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Knuckles, how/where do you get that information?

I suspect it is a Mitchell subscription? I have a cool GM Service Manual link here at work, pretty cool stuff .

Old 05-06-03, 09:48 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
I get GM info direct from GM.

xxx

I have a legit username & password for use at work. I've seen other (functional) usernames & passwords posted all over the internet.

Last edited by knuckles; 05-07-03 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-07-03, 06:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Is it legal? How can you get that information?

You can e-mail me if you want to on this. I'm just curious.

Old 05-07-03, 09:54 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
It's legal for me as I have a legit username & password that my employer pays for. I suppose GM would frown on someone using a username & password they 'found' online.

We also get the same info, in the same format, on CD-ROM. E-mail me if you want more info.

Old 05-08-03, 03:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Will do, thanks.

Old 05-10-03, 08:00 PM
Is the pump loose at all, since removing the pully and mounting bolts or does the pump still feel like it's bolted tight? There is a bracket on the back side of the pump, that is also bolted to the exhaust manifold stud..

Old 05-12-03, 12:58 PM
Texas Longhorn
Visiting Guest
Knuckles,

Thanks for the help. That info helped me to poke my head in a couple of other places. It turned out to be the mounting stud on the exhaust manifold that I was missing (as another poster suggested). Anyhow, I appreciate everyone's help.

Search this Thread