Head gasket '92 Mercury Topaz

Old 05-05-03, 04:15 PM
Mercury
Visiting Guest
Question Head gasket '92 Mercury Topaz

Please advise! Our 1992 Mercury Topaz 4 cylinder needs its heand gasket replaced. I want to do the work myself, but I am new at automotive do-it-yourself and lack confidence. Where can I get instructions on the Internet for changing the gasket? I need to do the work tomorrow, May 7.

Thank you.
Max

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-03, 04:59 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
a pretty good project. Check Joe's basics/sig file. for the proper procedure. You may opt to having it done. You need to have head checked for warpage. I think this is one of those critters that if the head is warped it has to be replaced with another one. Cant be machined.

Old 05-05-03, 06:26 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It will take you more than a day to accomplish, that's for sure. Yes, the head must be machind & checked by a good machine shop.

Old 05-05-03, 10:33 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Why are you replacing the head gasket?

If it's leaking coolant down the front of the engine (pretty common on these old 2.3s) then chances are good that you don't even need to completely remove the head from the car. You can simply unbolt the exhaust pipe from the manifold, remove the valve cover & rocker arms, remove the head bolts & lift the head up an inch or so in order to remove the gasket. The old gasket should come off cleanly (no residue on the head or block) if it is an OEM Ford gasket. Install the new gasket & torque the head bolts to specs. Install the rocker arms & valve cover, refill the coolant, change the oil & filter & check for leaks.

If the engine has been overheated, or if you're getting coolant in the oil, then you'll need to remove the head & have it checked for cracks & warpage.

The 2.3L OHV engine is very simple & it's a great engine to learn on. Get a good service manual and go for it.

Old 05-06-03, 06:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
True . But the "sneak the gasket" method usually doesn't work well for the non professional folk and usually leads to doing it again or junking the vehicle. LOL .

If it truly has a blown gasket, I say take it out and do it right. Rushing a job like this is a sure fire way to do it twice .

Old 05-06-03, 02:44 PM
Mercury
Visiting Guest
Red face

Thanks, Joe. However, I have just learned that the wrong gasket was quoted to me. It is the valve cover gasket that is leaking oil.
Max

Old 05-06-03, 03:40 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Pretty straight forward procedure on this. Check Joes basics as previuosly stated. Step by step, including pics and type sealant to use on this project. You should be able to do this with no problems. Clean mating surfaces good before re-installing. Try and prevent any junk or old gasket material from entering engine. Also stay within torque specs on the bolts.

Old 05-06-03, 09:42 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Arrow

The valve cover gasket on the 2.3 is moulded to the valve cover. Last time I replaced one, it was available only as a valve cover and gasket assembly from the dealer. That was a more than a few years ago. The aftermarket may have come up with a cheaper solution in the mean time.

Old 05-06-03, 10:12 PM
Mercury
Visiting Guest
Smile How to find Joe's Basics

Thanks, Darrell,
How can I get to and read Joe's Basics? I can not find it listed on the site.
Mercury. (Max)

Old 05-07-03, 05:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
See my signature file below.

Knuckles: Yes. FelPro has addressed this issue, part # VS50399 includes the grommets.