78 Corvette thumping

Old 05-05-03, 09:55 PM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
78 Corvette thumping

Vehicle runs fine until on the freeway going 60+ mph. After existing the freeway and slowing down to a stop light (around 5 or less mph) the rear of the vehicle does a little shimmy and also makes a low thumping noise also from the rear. Vehicle has around 87K miles on O/D. Auto trans. Tranny and rear end fluid levels are ok.

Rear spindle bearings going out, or...?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-03, 10:44 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Sounds like you could have a sticking rear brake caliper.
Of course, you could also have about 50 other problems.

The rear suspension on the '63-'82 Vettes is a busy place. Lots of bushings & bearings & u-joints to worry about.

If you've got a GOOD service manual (OEM is the best & well worth it, esp. in this case) and you're reasonably skilled, you can check each component yourself. If not, I suggest you take it to a shop familiar with your era Corvette suspension & brake systems.

Ask around at your local Corvette and or Classic Chevy clubs if you're having trouble finding a quality shop.

Old 05-06-03, 03:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree, lots going on back there. Corvettes of this era are quite finicky and require a lot of specialized knowledge to go through.

Rebuilt calipers are available through any parts store for that application.

Old 05-06-03, 01:32 PM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
I already have the GM shop manual, and the GM electrical manual. We've been pretty good at finding the root to most mechnical or electrical problems on this vehicle but this shimmy and thumping thing has us stumpted. Thanks guys!

Old 05-07-03, 03:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I just reread your post, you state this has overdrive? 1978 Corvettes were TH350 if they were automatic cars.

I'd look at the swap that was done. Something may be out of line or banging.

Changing from OEM on a Corvette is blasphemy in Corvette circles (I agree, I keep my cars period era too ).