"93 Dakota

Old 05-06-03, 02:54 AM
tazz143
Visiting Guest
"93 Dakota

Hello. I have two questions about 93 Dakota, 2.5. 5-speed 170K, 4X2

First. Power steering fluid disapears while driving and warm. (no power assist and whine etc) Then after it sits about 5 min. the pump slowly refills.

Next is a bearing noise only under load. Sounds like a wheel bearing, but when I let up on the gas it goes away, or quiets down. U-joints are tight and greased. I discover the trans was out of oil, who knows how long it was driven this way. If this noise comes from engine, wouldnt I hear knock or something at idle, revs or start-up?Which I dont. Maybe I can jack up rear wheels and drag brakes to simulate?

Thanx in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-03, 04:01 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The noise will be tough to diagnose without hearing it. Have a good tranny shop go for a ride with you to listen.

If you take the tranny out of gear when going, will it stop?

Old 05-06-03, 06:28 PM
tazz143
Visiting Guest
I jacked up rear wheels today and ran in gear. noise seems to be coming from rearend. I think at both wheel bearings, not sure. Full of oil and good condition.Is the next step to drain and check for metal? I didnt expect this. While driving , sounded more toward front, like main bearing or wheel bearing direction.

Ok to the disappearring power steering fluid mystery. The resivor empties while driving and fills back up when parked? Found out were its going. The boots(both tie rods) fill with fluid? and drain back up to the pump when not running, explains the dirty looking fluid. What does this mean? Is the rack junk? or are the seals replacable with home mechanic tools? It guess the big question is what caused it, The return line are not crushed or kincked.

If I go with a new(rebuilt) Do they come complete, knuckle-to-knuckle?

Old 05-07-03, 06:13 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You cannot service the rack. It has to be replaced with a rebuilt. Should be complete.

If the rear end has trouble, swap in another used one or have a shop set up the new one for you. It takes specialized knowledge and tools to do rear end work properly.

Old 05-07-03, 05:07 PM
tazz143
Visiting Guest
Thanx Joe_F

Search this Thread