Van belatedly going into gear

Old 05-06-03, 12:37 PM
Van belatedly going into gear

My daughter who lives cross country has a 1995 Dodge caravan that she maintains well. Ocacssionally, upon acceleration, the car will not move until it lurches forward and then proceeds -somewhat as if it is belatedly going into gear. It is an automatic transmission and a 3.0 litter engine with about 60,000 miles. She had the transmission fluid drained and replaced a year ago and when I visited her recently the transmission fluid was full and the right color and odor. I believe that she has a transmission problem but I am intereted in more specific armchair diagnosis and any notion of ballpark reair costs. Any assistance is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-03, 12:51 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Was the proper Chrysler fluid used? If not, it can ruin the tranny in short order.

Certain Chrysler models use a SPECIFIC Chrysler fluid that must be bought from a Chrysler dealer or be equivalent to the Chrysler spec.

Question the tranny shop that did the change as to what they used and see how it compares to the owner's manual recommendations. If it differs, go back to the shop that did the work (even if it was a year ago) and complain.

Old 05-07-03, 10:40 AM
If anyone is interested in what happened - the tansmission gasket failed and the van lost two quarts of fluid which caused the problem. Cost to replace gasket, fluid etc was $114. Mechanic said he used Chrylsler authorized fluid. My daughter and I are happy that the problem was resolved for this price.

I am still slightly bothered by the fact that whoever serviced the transmission a year ago might not have replaced the gasket or tightened the pan correctly but that is water over the top.

Old 05-08-03, 09:23 AM
$114 for a gasket and fluid (and labor)?

Every time I hear about these prices for such a simple procedure I can't believe it!

I agree... it's usually futile to argue if you think they might have not done something right... a year ago. (Gasket failed after a year? I'd be unhappy if it ever failed after getting serviced.)

They either way over-tightened the pan bolts, or didn't tighten them up enough (or... didn't even replace the gasket like you said).

If they didn't feel guilty about it, find another shop.

Parts cost is under $20 for you at the auto parts store... including a new filter, gasket, and 4 quarts of atf+3.

I'm in the wrong line of work. lol

Old 05-08-03, 10:19 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Jason:

65 bucks an hour for labor, plus 20 bucks or so for the filter kit is up to 85 bucks. Add on tax, shop supplies, disposal, and it's about right.

Sure, I agree with you. I just fixed my mother's washing machine 2 weeks ago---had a bad motor coupling. I also changed the pump.

I paid $52.00 for all the parts from a local appliance parts guy and did the work myself with the help of a friend in probably under an hour. Figure that an appliance tech would easily get 60 bucks to come in and diagnose the problem, perhaps another 75 bucks or so for parts, puts you up past $150.00.

Not to mention my mom got the parts on a Friday afternoon for me (she can get to the place before they close) and I had it fixed that same night .

However, if you are not handy, cannot do the work yourself or lack the proper tools, $114 isn't that bad.

Not everyone shares the same DIY spirit, know-how or time to do it.

Old 05-08-03, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Joe_F
Sure, I agree with you. I just fixed my mother's washing machine 2 weeks ago---had a bad motor coupling. I also changed the pump.

Not everyone shares the same DIY spirit, know-how or time to do it. [/B]
Mine too, must be an epidemic! My Whirlpool died mid-load and
I replaced the coupler with one from a local dealer. Squealed
like mad till it broke in, now it seems to have settled down
and back to normal! My wife says sometimes I have too much
DIY spirit!

Christopher

Old 05-08-03, 03:56 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Common problem on direct drive Whirlpools----improved coupling is triangular shaped for more drive area.

See Jeff's (Jeff1) appliance forum. Jeff is the best and has given me a lot of assistance when needed. He is a stellar guy.

But I digress .

Search this Thread