89 voyager

Old 05-07-03, 06:26 PM
wtfdissux
Visiting Guest
89 voyager

i recently replaced my head gasket on my voyager, it has the 2.5 turbo with a 3 speed auto tranny. Since then i have been getting a very scary and unsafe ride to say the least. its acting like i am standing on the gas but am actually stanging on the brake trying to keep it under 30 that was this am. got to work and checked all cables and throttle body /tranny conections as well as fluids and even codes but to no avail. when driving home it felt like it was stuck in 1st gear.got home and rechecked every thing again to no avail let it sit at idle for a bit to reach temp then took for drive now am right back where was this am( feels like full throttle)

watched the rpm and they are skyrocketing even with no pressure on gas peddle shift into neutral to try and save my brakes and it was worse got home and restarted it and immidiatly to full idle
i know these arent the best runners but its all i can afford at the moment so need to make it last only bright side i work in a garrage but we are to busy to look at it let alone any thing else

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-03, 08:24 PM
Check your motor and tranny mounts to see if any are cracked. If the motor moves while you're driving it might cause a bind in the linkage?

Old 05-07-03, 09:12 PM
wtfdissux
Visiting Guest
89 voyager

that would be a nice thing but no they are all less than a month old

Old 05-08-03, 12:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Might check for a fair sized vacuum leak. Seems like those engines like to race when a vacuum hose cracks off.

Old 05-08-03, 03:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. Something is stuck or bound somewhere to cause it to race like that.

I also agree with Cheese.

Old 05-08-03, 05:49 AM
wtfdissux
Visiting Guest
89 voyager

now that am thinking about it it runs like a waer logged snail until it reaches temp after that is when it goes full hilt.
what gets me is after hot it will start in full throttle even when i am looking at the throttle body and it is at normal position before start then boom it goes full hilt

remembering why i dont like lee iacocanutz now ....magical mystery problems...........maybe i need an exorcist

Old 05-08-03, 06:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Any trouble codes stored in the computer? Maintenance done recently???

Old 05-08-03, 05:47 PM
wtfdissux
Visiting Guest
89 voyager

the only code is 12 because the bettery was disconnected when the head gasket was done and the maint part was just the head gasket and relater(throttle body, intake/exhaust oil and coolant from turbo etc.)

Old 05-08-03, 06:24 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
OK fellas, I just got to toss in my guess. The cruise control is not by chance the culprit??? If it has one, think it can be disconnected at the T/B?? Sort of off the wall, but......If you have tried all the logical approaches, then you got to act like a loonie..... Stuff like that may make you loonie anyhow.

Old 05-08-03, 07:05 PM
wtfdissux
Visiting Guest
dont feel like a loonie for that one thats close to what i am thinking
the kick down band in the tranny is controlled by the throttle body also that would explain the cold temp behaivior and the warm if the band is way out of adj. but i checked the band adj about 3 months ago

Old 05-09-03, 06:30 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
for curiousity tho I would temp. disable the cruise and see what happens. Maybe be a fluke or glitch of some kind activating the control.

Old 05-09-03, 01:25 PM
wtfdissux
Visiting Guest
89 voyager

think I got it !!!!!

The kick down cable is binding up in the full throttle postion after warmed up and vice verca when cold. Solved that but now am stuck in low gear till i change it. Gonna have to "borrow time" with one from a bone yard since none avail. Even from dealer (they are back ordered also).

Idle now drops when I let off the pedal and goes up when I hit the gas so all thats left is the cable. Will go in a few minutes (engine is hot from trying to get to shift). Will let ya know if it works

Old 05-09-03, 02:33 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Sometime things can be real hair pullers, but with patience and the "I am gonna fix" attitude, a problem can usually be solved, glad you are making headway on this one.

Old 05-09-03, 09:08 PM
wtfdissux
Visiting Guest
ok here is the latest idle problem gone!!!!

shifting gears but not well, hard shifting on deccelleration and acceleration.
had to add a return spring on the throttle body and the kickdown cable (throttle body end)in order to froce the cable to return when i let the throttle down which has helped think i may want to recheck the kickdown band({ why on earth did they set adj. mark at 72 inch pounds }).
at least i am moving now with cruise on a level road doing 45 mph at between 2800 and 3400 rpms.

Old 05-10-03, 05:25 AM
If you had no problem with the trans before you may need to adjust the kickdown linkage.Don't go adjusting bands in the trans their adjustment didn't change by replacing the headgasket.

Old 05-10-03, 10:16 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
That's too high of an RPM. My Saturn doing 65 mph is probably just over 3k.

I agree with Davo.

Old 05-15-03, 07:40 PM
wtfdissux
Visiting Guest
Talking starting to find problem

ok found the culprit..
the timing belt was not returned to the correct place and there for valve timing and ign. timing wer not in sinc.
so far i have gotten this improved as far as i can
( i removed the belt from the cam placed a brass rod into number one cyl. and brought up to tdc then alaigned marks on cam gear and reattached belt wow now i am right around propper base idle of 850 insted of 1200)
the shift problemwas the kickdown cable so am off to a good start ....no pun intended
now my question is i have a slight missfire across all speeds plan on checking timing tommarow after noon but am worried if timing belt is not exact it will still not run right have i done everything correct up to this point if i did/did not where should i go before or after setting timing?

Old 05-15-03, 07:54 PM
Just a thought...a lot of times after fighting the type of problem you have the plugs may get fouled and short out. NO amount of cleaning will bring them back to life. Only real cure is replacement. Had to due this 3x on one engine as the carb had an intermittent flooding problem. The new plugs would last for 100 miles and that was it. Check the condition of your plugs.

Old 05-15-03, 08:59 PM
i would suggest you rechek your timing belt but this time use the indicator on the top of the transmission to get on tdc instead of using a wire which likely wasnt very accurate.

Old 05-15-03, 09:32 PM
wtfdissux
Visiting Guest
now that i am done banging my head off my desk cant believe i did not think of the timing marks on tranny and you are right the method used is not accurate but after a long 12 hour day it was the best i could come up with

also as to the condition of the plugs plan on replacing them they are ok for now ( not the greatest but dont want to replace them till the rest is done or will replace them again in other words dont want to repeat jobs) but ya gotta love life time plugs

Old 05-16-03, 05:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Did you fix the problem? LOL