Slipping trans?

Old 05-08-03, 07:28 AM
Dvath
Visiting Guest
Slipping trans?

1999 Dodge Dakota SLT Club Cab 4x4 5.9 V8 Auto, 78,000 mi. Over the last few months, at approx. 60 to 75 mph and 1600 to 2000 rpm vehicle seems like it temporarily sputters and the rpms jump about 500 or so and then it returns. Its almost as if it keeps trying to change into a passing gear but then goes right back. Just last night it continually did this for 15 straight miles. Full maintenance of all trans fluids done 5,000 miles ago. Any ideas? Also, some of you might recall I posted a squeaking drive train on this vehicle and thought it was the U-joint. Dealer inspected U-joint and claimed it was fine. Also claimed they could not duplicate the stated problem. Figures, I pulled away from the dealer and it was louder then ever. Went back and had a mechanic come with me but he was not convinced it was u-joint. I had to take the vehicle that day and just have not gotten it back yet. Any help on the trans issue would be appreciated. Please know that it will go to the dealer, but your suggestions might help me feal more comfortable.

Could be goin Ford or Chevy next :-)

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-03, 08:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check alldata.com for any known bulletins that pertain to the problem.

My sister had a similar problem in her 99 Durango and it was a valve body problem. Took the dealer a few times to get it right.

She pitched that truck in 2002 for a Tahoe when the lease on the Durango ended. The Tahoe is far superior in every way to the Durango.

Old 05-08-03, 08:17 AM
Dvath
Visiting Guest
Thanks Joe. I did in fact check all data prior to posting and nothing jumped out at me. Can you slightly help me with the "Valve Body" issue. In laymens terms, what is it, where is it, and what does it do. BTW I also had the intake manifold gasket replaced - any connection? Thx

Old 05-08-03, 10:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The valve body is part of the main guts of the tranny. It is what stares you in the face when you take the pan down. It is the pathway where all the fluid goes. It goes through various channels which give you the various gear speeds you have. Changing it is a pretty major endeavor.

On my sister's truck, first the solenoid pack went and then it was the valve body. Mind you this was when she was on vacation at the NJ shore with three kids! Daimler Chrysler got poor marks on this one, keeping my sister on hold for 20 minutes and then refusing to give her a rental car.

Not only that, the dealer down the shore "fixed" the problem only to have it return a few hours later. My sister spend a good part of her vacation in the dealer's service department.

When she left her shore place, going home, the vehicle once again bucked and barely made it home. I know a couple of times, she got Chrysler to eat the lease payment outright refusing to pay for a truck that was out of service most of the month (I agree).

She didn't bat an eye when the lease came up. She told the salesman that he'd have to cut the lease payment by at least 1/3 to even get my sister to consider another Chrysler truck.

The Chevy has been flawless ever since. I wish she would have listened to me in 1999 . LOL

Old 05-08-03, 10:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The valve body is part of the main guts of the tranny. It is what stares you in the face when you take the pan down. It is the pathway where all the fluid goes. It goes through various channels which give you the various gear speeds you have. Changing it is a pretty major endeavor.

On my sister's truck, first the solenoid pack went and then it was the valve body. Mind you this was when she was on vacation at the NJ shore with three kids! Daimler Chrysler got poor marks on this one, keeping my sister on hold for 20 minutes and then refusing to give her a rental car.

Not only that, the dealer down the shore "fixed" the problem only to have it return a few hours later. My sister spent a good part of her vacation in the dealer's service department.

When she left her shore place, going home, the vehicle once again bucked and barely made it home. I know a couple of times, she got Chrysler to eat the lease payment outright refusing to pay for a truck that was out of service most of the month (I agree).

She didn't bat an eye when the lease came up. She told the salesman that he'd have to cut the lease payment by at least 1/3 to even get my sister to consider another Chrysler truck.

The Chevy has been flawless ever since. I wish she would have listened to me in 1999 . LOL