Power steering fluid type

Old 05-08-03, 11:09 PM
igotkids
Visiting Guest
Power steering fluid type

I have a 98 Windstar and the steering is making a lot of noise. I just replaced the power steering pump. My Chilton's manual said to use a "type F power steering fluid" which no one carries (I have not checked with Ford yet). The only "type F" fluid I've seen is for transmissions. Question: is Ford using type F transmission fluid for the 98 windstar power steering pump? I have some Prestone power steering fluid that says (on the label) that it is designed for GM's, Chrysler's and Ford's. Can I use this?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-03, 03:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What does the owner's manual have to say?

Old 05-09-03, 07:29 AM
igotkids
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the feedback. My Chilton's owners manual says, "Ford recommends the use of Motorcraft Type "F", or equivalent power steering fluid." This is the item that I couldn't find at 2 of my local auto parts stores. I was hoping to get a quick answer to complete my repairs this morning so the wife can have her van back. Oh well, will have to run down to the local Ford dealership (a bunch of hacks) to pay the kings tax on Ford's private labeled stuff.

Old 05-09-03, 07:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Again, what does the OWNER's manual state is used? Just get fluid that meets that spec.

Old 05-09-03, 06:54 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
A Chilton manual is a SERVICE manual, not an owner's manual.

The fluid typed is clearly marked on the P/S dipstick. In your case, the correct fluid is Mercon V ATF. You can buy small (approx. 1 pt.) bottles of Power Steering Fluid from your Ford dealer, or you can buy quart bottles of Mercon V ATF. It's the exact same stuff, but it is much cheaper when you buy it in quart bottles.