Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1995 Ford Ranger???

NY

05-09-03, 04:23 AM   #1  
1995 Ford Ranger???

Hi, I have a few questions about a 1995 Ford Ranger. Manual 5 speed trans, 4wd, 4L engine 120,000 miles. Idles rough, check engine light on. I put plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, last summer. Installed fuel filter 10,000 miles ago. It was and, still is, idling rough, with the check engine light on before and after doing these things.

1)I went to garage yesterday to find out why the check engine light is on. The code said something about an EGR valve in the rear differential. Some mention of a cracked hose possibly.The mechanic didn't know anything about this. He cleared the code but the light came back on when I started it so I went home with the light still on. Has anybody ever heard of this?

2) I seems to me I saw advertised software with cables that you can hook you notebook computer up and read codes. Has anyone ever seen this? Any experience with it? Where can I get it?

3) The people at the garage I went to recomended I have this BG service done to my fuel system to smooth out the idle. Does this stufff work? What is involved in the process? It costs $110. Seems kinda expensive if all they do is dump some chemical in the gas tank. Any comments on this BG stuff? Any chance it will do harm to my engine, fuel system?

Thanks TimH

Last edited by TimH; 05-09-03 at 04:46 AM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-09-03, 06:40 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Bring it to another shop that can properly diagnose the problem and fix it.

Possibly they are talking about an EGR solenoid, or the valve itself may be bad or stuck with carbon.

Autozone can scan the codes for you free of charge. Yes, there are good scanners and programs available for the do it yourselfer. The better ones are quite costly.

NY

05-09-03, 05:32 PM   #3  
Thanks Joe _F. The local Autozone never seems to have enough staff on to let someone go out & read the code. I've been there 3 times with no luck. ?Do you have any opinions on this "BG" fuel system service that the mechanic mentioned?

Visiting Guest

05-10-03, 06:16 AM   #4  
Gomer-techimo
My opinion is that it is another way for that particular garage to get another $100 out of you without fixing anything.

Take Joe's advice and find another shop.

Visiting Guest

05-10-03, 10:11 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Call up the local Autozone and speak to the manager there. Tell him when you plan to come by and make sure someone is there to read the code for you. If you call ahead, it will work out much better.

Search this Thread