exhaust for a 83 chevy

Old 05-09-03, 06:47 AM
heavy_chevy
Visiting Guest
Question exhaust for a 83 chevy

I just bought a 83' chevy caprice and it needs a new exhaust.I want to put dual exhaust on but dont know where to start.Would I have to get the new pipes bent a certain way or can i put on straight pipes?Also of anyone know of a website that can show me how to do it or show some pics of how its done let me know.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-03, 07:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You need a tubing bender to do it properly. Best left for a shop to custom make the pipes.

They probably have already done one of these cars before so it should be a breeze for them.

You must keep the catalytic converter intact but can put duals after the cat legally. It also must clear the axle and other obstructions underneath.

A job for a muffler shop, no doubt.

Old 05-10-03, 07:30 AM
heavy_chevy
Visiting Guest
Yeah I'm gonna let house of mufflers bend my pipes and have some one else put then on, but i was planning on taking the cat off.(i know im suppose to have one on) If I leave it on does it effect the sound of my pipes?

Old 05-10-03, 10:07 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Taking the cat off does nothing. You get zip in the way of added HP. It will also cause the car to fail the exhaust emission check (at least a visual inspection).

It won't affect the way it sounds out the back of the car. The mufflers will give the needed effect. With a 305 in there, it won't sound all that hot--not much ooomph from a 305.

Search this Thread