installing a 5 speed tranny (help)

Old 05-09-03, 09:59 PM
maddmatt
Visiting Guest
Question installing a 5 speed tranny (help)

i'm installing a 5 speed tranny into a 1995 Honda passport 4x4 and i can not get the tranny to set flush up against the engine (the shaft will not seat the whole way) what could i be doing wrong ? i tried turning the shaft ,trying to get the gears to seat, i tried different angles. i tried for 5 hours (NO JOKE) I need help !!! it is just a tranny swap the clutch stayed in and the tranny is the same as the one i took out , the syncronizer went out in it. Any help will be greatly appriciated.
Thanks,
Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-03, 05:04 AM
Make sure the input shaft splines are the same on both trans.Also check the length and diameter of the shaft.Another possible problem is the throwout bearing got dislodged.Make sure nothing is between the engine and trans blocking it.

Old 05-10-03, 10:19 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree.

Old 05-10-03, 01:12 PM
maddmatt
Visiting Guest
everyting seems fine

i checked and measured the spline and they are both the same, the throwout bearing is seated into fingers and spins freely and there is nothing in the way. still will not go in???
i am so lost,
Matt

Old 05-10-03, 01:39 PM
If you're putting the same trans back in that you took out, there shouldn't be any issues. Pick up a clutch disc alignment tool at your local auto parts store. Should be $10-20. It's a plastic thing that looks like the splines on the input shaft. Insert it into the clutch disc and it should bottom out in the pilot bearing. If it doesn't, have someone step on the clutch to allow the disc to come into alignment. I'd bet your problem is that the disc isn't lined up properly so the input shaft isn't seating in the pilot bearing.

Good luck...

Jim

Old 05-12-03, 05:16 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Yup, alignment tool is a must.

Old 05-12-03, 05:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Most times it will come with a clutch kit when you buy it.

Old 05-14-03, 06:39 PM
maddmatt
Visiting Guest

still will not go in, three different people have tried and helped me all of us have done trannys before, none of us understand what is going on??

Old 05-14-03, 07:16 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Get a mic. check the pilot bearing shaft dia against the old one.
Also length of shoulder against the old one.

Old 05-17-03, 01:16 PM
maddmatt
Visiting Guest
good luck for a change!

i pulled the tranny out again , measered the shaft and splines , everything is ok. i squirted penitraiting oil on the shaft and tried again it finially worked , it slide right in "thank God"
thanks for all the help,
Matt