Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Fine scratches on paintwork

Visiting Guest

05-10-03, 01:03 AM   #1  
richard dunn
Fine scratches on paintwork

I have alot of fine scratches on the surface of my car which is dark green metalic. They haven't gone through to the metalwork but are very unsightly. Does anyone know what is the best way to disguise/remove these without damaging the finish of my car. Is there a product out there which I could use eg a polish.

Sponsored Links

05-10-03, 05:13 AM   #2  
Paint work can be tricky to repair,hard to advise but if it is basecoat clearcoat on your car you can wet sand with 1200 paper then buff to blend them in.You must be careful not to remove all the clearcoat.Sometimes you may be ahead in the long run by seeking a pro,paint is very expensive these days.

Visiting Guest

05-10-03, 07:24 AM   #3  
darrell McCoy
when they are just surface scratch's, I have had good results with clay magic and 3M's restorer polish.

Visiting Guest

05-10-03, 10:09 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Best bet is to have it professionally detailed by a reputable shop. They can work magic for a reasonable price as they have all the materials needed to do a good job.

NJ

05-10-03, 01:54 PM   #5  
3M makes some really great stuff for this. They make a one-step wax/polish that has an abrasive that's a little more aggressive than what you can pick up at the local autoparts store. I've had great luck with it.

If something like a wax/polish doesn't do it, you'll need to move up to a polishing compound, then a filler glaze, then a wax protectant without an abrasive.

When you get it the way you want it, you can keep it looking good with Zaino Brothers products. The stuff is absolutely amazing. It's a multi-step process, but it's worth the effort - especially on a dark colored car. You can go to zainobros.com for more info. You can only buy it online from Ecklers (the Corvette people at www.ecklers.com) or via mail-order from the Zaino brothers themselves. I use it on my GN and it's incredible.

Jim

Search this Thread