Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

can tire be repaired?

TX

05-10-03, 04:32 PM   #1  
can tire be repaired?

I went outside today and noticed the rear tire on her 96 buick skylark looking low on air. I took out the compressor and filled it up.
Found a wood screw in the radius still in the part that has thread it is. The thread goes about 3/4 into the sidewall it is there were the screw is. Tire still has lots of thread left or I would replace it.
Do you think it can be fixed? Thanks for all the good help in the past.
Mike

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-10-03, 05:04 PM   #2  
darrell McCoy
Being that close to the sidewall I think for safety reasons, I would take the patch money and use it toward purchase of another tire.
The price of that particular tire size is not all that bad.

TX

05-10-03, 05:20 PM   #3  
here lies the problem

I can get the tire fixed maybe for free at discount tire or maybe for about 6 dollars.The problem is if I buy a new tire I wont be able to get one the same style.Also I would rather have all my tires with the same amount of wear not one that is new.I would have to buy 2 new tires for the same axle.

Visiting Guest

05-10-03, 05:45 PM   #4  
darrell McCoy
Was thinking, in that particular place there is considerable roll, To try and use a inside patch.
Think your model had general tires. Should be able to deal on them for 50 each. I just bought 4 -215/15 O.E.M. WW Tigerpaw uniroyals for 225. Bal and installed.

Visiting Guest

05-11-03, 11:48 AM   #5  
Joe_F
I have two different tires (same size) on the rear of my 89 Cavalier, there's no problems.

On a front drive car, as long as the fronts have the same tires, you're ok.

I would pitch that tire.

05-11-03, 03:10 PM   #6  
Joe

Disagree about having mis-matched tires on the same axel, even if it's the rear in your case. Tire industry recomends to have all four tire matching. If you must mix, the same brand and tread pattern tires must be on the same axel.

What happens in your case in a panic stop. Do you lose control of the rear beacause of different tread pattern and rubber compounds? The same size tire from two diff brands dosen't assure the same diameter.

Is it $50 or $100 saved against you or your loved ones lifes worth it?
Larry

Visiting Guest

05-11-03, 03:21 PM   #7  
Joe_F
Larry:

Both tires are new with near 100% tread, so it's unlikely in the real world you'd see that kind of difference. Some cars have different front and rear tire sizes and they work fine (from the factory)

Remember why the tire industry recommends that----sells more tires .

If you blow out a tire and it's discontinued, what do you do? Trash three good tires? Mike's car is a 2003 model, it's not likely he needs three other tires.

Do you have a link from the tire council on that (Not trying to be a smartass here)?

05-11-03, 03:41 PM   #8  
Joe

Ever see how one brand of tire is better in the wet than another?
You could have that situation in the rear of your car. I wouldn't want that in a car I was driving or my family is in....Think about it.

For laughs take a tape measure and check diameter of those same size different brand tires , almost always come up different.

Cars with different tires front and rear have the same sizes and brand on the same axel.

If in your case of a discontinued tire replace the other tire on the axel also. Your only replacing two that way. What about the spare? Use it and use mismatched tire as the spare

Larry

Visiting Guest

05-11-03, 03:48 PM   #9  
darrell McCoy
Am a believer: mix and match tires degrades stability of the vehicle.

TX

05-11-03, 04:01 PM   #10  
Mix and match

I concur I don't really like to mix and match tires. I will go down to the tire place on Monday and see what they say. And Joe the tire is not for the 2003 Matrix but for the 96 Buick.If I have to and they cant patch it I guess I will get two tires, put them on front use the still serviceable tire as a spare.

Visiting Guest

05-11-03, 07:10 PM   #11  
Gomer-techimo
Joe:
have two different tires (same size) on the rear of my 89 Cavalier, there's no problems.

On a front drive car, as long as the fronts have the same tires, you're ok.
What happens when it's time to rotate them?

Visiting Guest

05-11-03, 09:26 PM   #12  
knuckles
Here's the best way to rotate tires on a FWD car:

1. Drive the car until the wear indicators are showing on the front tires.

2. Buy new front tires.

Seriously...tire rotation on FWD passenger cars is nothing but a waste of time & money. The only 'advantage' to rotating tires on a FWD car is that all 4 tires will wear out at the same time.

Personally, I'd rather buy 2 tires than 4, so I don't rotate tires on my FWD cars.

Visiting Guest

05-12-03, 03:49 AM   #13  
Joe_F
I agree with Knuckles. But, then how would you get the same tires when you need them? They'd be gone when you went to buy them .

Knuckles: Do you agree with having all four the same or not?

(Curious).

Larry:

I have yet to see an 18 wheeler with the same tires all the way around . The tires on the tractor always differ from those on the trailer. Just an example.

05-12-03, 06:18 AM   #14  
Knuckles:
Thats a interesting theory, When to the rear tires get replaced? Sounds like your not likley to have four matched (brand, wear) tires ever!

It's a known fact if tire a left in the same position they will wear out prematurely usually on the outer edges in the front of any vehicle, due to corning and front end geometry. Even tire manufactures recommend tire rotation every 4,000 -6,000 miles. They recommend it because they don't want to be hit with false claims of premature wear. I see it all day long, customers who don't rotate will waste their front tires by 20,000 miles or less. Customer who rotate every 5,000 mile their set will go 40,000 - 60,000 miles.

Even if both theorys were equal whats the advantage of buying two vs four. You are going to buy the tires any way you might as well have matched sets, it has to be better than mismatched.

Rotating every 5,000 miles gives you the opportunity to inspect the brakes, not a bad idea.

We sell certfied used cars, one of the 128 pt checks is to have 4 matched tires for size, brand, wear and thread design.

Joe:

Have seen a lot of those trailers jacked-knifed!

The point here is about having mismatched brand and thread pattern tires on the same axel, most experts would agree that it's not the most desirable situation

Larry

Visiting Guest

05-12-03, 07:45 AM   #15  
truckdrivinfool
Originally posted by toyotaman11769
Joe:

Have seen a lot of those trailers jacked-knifed!
Larry
I couldn't pass this up. The tire differences from a tractor to a trailer have nothing to do with why TTs jackknife it took me 15minutes to quit laughing . While I do agree, and it is part of a pre-trip inspection that the tires one axle set has are to be of the same diameter/size of tire that the notion that different tires from axle to axle is the cause fo a jackknife. Matter of you'll almost always see not only different tires on trailers 99% of the time the steer tires will be different size/tread patten than those on the drive axles.

As long as the tires are the same size on each axle set it makes no difference (excluding the consideration of gear ratios on tandem drive axled vehicles).

The only time you'll have problems with different tires front to back is if you run a slower stoppping biasply/poly tire on the rear and radials on the front. Have done this and know of the increased spin characteristics that come with it.

05-12-03, 07:53 AM   #16  
Once again you agree that the same tires should be on the same axel, that was my point

Larry

Visiting Guest

05-12-03, 08:19 AM   #17  
truckdrivinfool
Originally posted by toyotaman11769
We sell certfied used cars, one of the 128 pt checks is to have 4 matched tires for size, brand, wear and thread design.

The point here is about having mismatched brand and thread pattern tires on the same axel, most experts would agree that it's not the most desirable situation

Larry
I know 4 tires the same size are for rotation and the point is agreed. I'm just in a mood and am done. No ill will meant.

TX

05-15-03, 05:35 AM   #18  
final outcome

I went to Discount tire they could not repair it legally .They also did not have the same brand tire and would have to order it .
I bought the tires there so they looked in the computer and found a close replacement since I have just been laid off from the airlines I could not get two tires. To make a long story short I got one new 49 dollar tire for 7 dollars because I had bought the warranty .I will keep the odd ball on the rear axle.

Visiting Guest

05-15-03, 06:08 AM   #19  
Joe_F
Lol. Good deal (sorry to hear of the layoff).

IN

05-15-03, 11:42 AM   #20  
Originally posted by Joe_F
Lol. Good deal (sorry to hear of the layoff).
Personally I've only bought tires in pairs on my cars that
have ABS brakes if a tire couldn't be patched. That's just
a personal preference, because any decent ABS system is
going to be able to pulse one wheel individually in case of
a potential skid so tread pattern is a moot point there. I do
all brake work on all four corners too on my ABS cars.

I don't rotate my tires, all of them wear just fine left
alone. My non-ABS cars rarely had matching treads (brands) on
both axles, and in one case had 4 different tires on
one car, no driving issues there, even in 10" of snow
per hour! (1976 Buick Riveria) I do make sure all the tires
are the same size and aspect ratio.

If I recently bought 4 tires and one had a damaged sidewall, I
wouldn't hesitate to replace the single tire with one of a different
make or model. It will adapt.

Christopher

Visiting Guest

05-15-03, 07:25 PM   #21  
wtfdissux
this is something i know about as i work for the worlds largest tire and rubber company (not saying anything but they own a few blimps)
any way if the puncture is within 1/4 inch of the edge of the radial ply then there is NO safe or acceptable repair.
second point is the prefered way to mount tires is with the same size as oem and the same style on each axle
the amount of tread is an obvious concern but even with different types of tread pattern you should not notice any differance in ride the ecception is with directional or non radial tires

Visiting Guest

05-15-03, 09:58 PM   #22  
knuckles
Joe_F

Knuckles: Do you agree with having all four the same or not?
All 4 the same is not necessary in my opinion and my experience.

I DO try to keep the mismatched tires on the rear, though. I also would not mix different sized tires on the same axle or different type (radial vs. bias, Passenger vs. LT vs. Performance, etc.) on the same car.

I've seen a few 3rd gen. F-bodies with the OEM Eagle GTs on the front & 70 series snow tires on the rear. They were awful handlers! Lots of oversteer & these cars are tail-happy to begin with. To make matters worse, they still weren't worth a crap in the snow! LOL

Visiting Guest

05-16-03, 05:53 AM   #23  
Joe_F
F bodies and snow do not mix. If you use one in the snow, you're asking for trouble. Buy a beater and use the F car in the good weather.

Trust me, I've owned them for 20+ years. LOL .

I agree with you. I keep the same tires on the "live" axle of the vehicle.

Search this Thread