Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

92 continental power steering repair

Visiting Guest

05-11-03, 08:30 PM   #1  
gov5225
92 continental power steering repair

I have a 92 Lincoln Continental Signature with a leak in the power steering pump where the output line connects to the pump. I checked the connection and it is tight, but when the pump is running fluid flows out. How do I repair? Is replacing the pump the only answer? Where can I find a online repair manual?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-12-03, 06:03 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Autolibrary.org for the manual. If not, $25 bucks for an Alldata.com subscription.

Ford power steering pumps are the rock bottom pits. Likely the pump if there are no leaks at the lines (unless the rack and pinion leaks...possibility).

05-12-03, 04:44 PM   #3  
FYI...I had an annoying leak on a 91 Mercury Grand Marquis. Here's what I finally found. The pressure hose screws into a metal valve on the steering pump and that has o-ring seals on it. The outside seal was heat stressed and was cracked and leaking. Also the hose itself has a small plastic washer on it...this must be replaced(every time the hose is removed!) and is available from Ford or comes with a new hose. Last of all, my pressure hose has a special swivel fitting on the pump end and if you overtorque the fitting you will destroy the hose. I believe the pump on your car is the same as mine but your hoses are a different configuration. The o-ring seals may also be available at Ford or you can get a pump seal kit and just use those o-rings out of it.

P.S. I didnt find out all this until I replaced the pressure hose 2 times.

Search this Thread