Pontiac 326

Old 05-12-03, 08:13 PM
Pontiac 326

Joe, this one is right up your alley(I hope).

A kid at work purchased a 67 or 68 (can't remember 'zactly) Firebird with a 326 a couple of months ago.
Started runnin' bad after he got it home.
Couple of spark plugs loose.....easy fix, tighten and go,right?
Fire it up and bang,bang,bang.... now it really runs bad.
Previous owner put in (you guessed it).. long peanut plugs.
Banged a couple of holes in pistons.
Short story long- He's dropping in a 305 for now to drive around, but kinda wants to redo the 326 in the future.

We've called around numerous local parts stores, and the standard answer is " don't ya mean 327?"

Need a source for engine rebuild kits for a 326.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-03, 03:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Easy one. Just about anywhere.

Egge's Obsolete parts, your local parts store, Year One, Ames, the Paddock, etc.

They are probably the same (mostly) as a 350 Pontiac. A lot of Pontiac internal engine parts are the same all the way up to the 455 as there is no big and small block Pontiac.

Pistons are available through Sealed Power---any parts store handles them.

I'm almost positive you can get all the parts through Sealed Power for a stock rebuild, they make them all.

Call up Federal Mogul's TechLine and ask. They are quite helpful.

Good luck and let me know...

Old 05-13-03, 05:46 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
He needs to put a pontiac engine back in there--chevy is taboo. The 326 is a boat anchor as is the 350--400 cores are still very easy to find--dollar for dollar--best rebuild option.

Old 05-13-03, 06:33 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I believe it's a 1967. 1968 would have been a 350.

I just looked up a 68 Bird with a 350. Sealed Power (part of Federal Mogul) makes Master Rebuild kits. They are about 700 bucks at jobber. I believe they'll have everything you'll need.

Call up Federal Mogul and ask 'em. Let us know.

I agree with Redneck. Pontiac car, Pontiac powered. It's the reason I do not buy any Pontiacs after 1981. I only buy Pontiac powered Pontiacs

Old 05-13-03, 07:29 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
I have stock #'s matching '68 350HO, 4spd, 10 to 1 compression factory rated at 320hp, and a stock '77 400 w-72 rated at 200hp will smoke it. The bore to stroke ratio on a 326/350 is poor and causes excessive valve shrouding. Unless you want #'s matching, toss the 326, buy a 400 core, and mildly build it. 455 is the way to go, but cores are not cheap!

Old 05-13-03, 09:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If the vehicle is all there, keep it stock and numbers matching. Worth a lot more in the long run that way.

As I said, I believe the 326 engine rebuild parts are no problem. You can try "326 Pontiac engine rebuilding parts" in www.google.com.

Should be a piece of cake.

Old 05-13-03, 12:04 PM
If you want to keep it original, then rebuild the 326. Like Joe said, the only difference between Pontiac engines 326-455 is the bore and stroke. Thus, the only thing you'd need that would be 326 specific would be pistons (assuming crank and rods are okay).

Here's a link to a 326 overhaul kit - with pistons:
http://www.greenbaypartsworld.com/cg...326a&frame=yes

That being said, I had lots of 326 powered "coke bottle" ('66-67 Tempest/LeMans body) Pontiacs. The 326 will run forever (if you don't poke holes in the pistons) but they really are weak in the power department. If I were in your buddy's situation I'd drop a 400 in there and keep the 326 around in case he wants to restore it someday. He might want to ditch the 2-speed trans that's probably sitting behind that 326, too (unless it's a manual trans). I did the same thing to my '67 LeMans. Even though the 400 engine and 400 trans were out of a Bonneville wagon, it had a lot of torque and made the LeMans a lot of fun to drive. I eventually graduated to a real 400-powered '67 GTO, but the LeMans 326 is still in my dad's backyard as far as I know. I'd offer up the pistons, but it's been back there for 12 years.

My brother has a good running 400 engine and 350 trans that he's not using (he's a Pontiac buff, too, with a '71 LeMans Sport and a "Chevy" powered '02 WS6 Trans Am), but Iowa is pretty far to ship a motor and trans you should be able to dig up for <$500 in good condition locally.

Good luck,
Jim

Old 05-13-03, 07:03 PM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Like I said, I know pontiacs, put a 400 or 455 in there for performance, the 326/350 is a reliable motor and that is it. Not worth anything on the collector market. You are better building a 455 car no matter what it is---once you leave the # matching forum--cubic inches rule! If you can afford it--go for the cubes--resale will benefit!

Old 05-14-03, 03:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ummm, cylinder OHC 6 engines fetch a LARGE buck on the collector market , as do 326 cars.

Bottom line: If the car is nice, even with a 326 it will fetch a nice buck. It will also be more reliable with its original parts.

Either way, a Pontiac engine belongs there, not a Chevy one .

Old 05-14-03, 05:03 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Do not want to start a war here--but the "collector car" market in NY must be tight. Around here you can't give away an OHC, 326 or a 350 pontiac! Very nice original pontiacs that came factory with these engines are worth more with a 455 or 400 in it!

Old 05-14-03, 05:46 AM
I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I live in the same market as Joe F. In general, an all original, numbers-matching car will command more money over the same car with a drivetrain transplant - even if the car is totally stock otherwise.

However, the market for an all original, numbers-matching OHC 6 or 326-powered car is very small. Anyone paying a premium for a fully restored example of anything is going to go for the high-HP or limited edition originals. I'd venture to guess that most people with OHC 6 or 326 cars either inherited them or bought them new - they didn't go out looking for a restored one. Those cars are tough sells. On the other hand, the guy that tore out his 326 and dropped in a 400 would sell the car easily (and get more money if he kept the old 326 around). He'll take a hit on resale value because the car is not original, but how much is the hit if there is little or no market for the original example?

As I've said before, regardless of what you do you your car you have to do it because YOU like it. Cars in general are a terrible investment and often you'll find that others place a lot less value on your efforts (whether those efforts are a meticulous restoration or a restification) than you do. The classic car market is very fickle and shrinking, unfortunately.

If money were no object, I'd drop a modern fuel-injected powerplant in that car (like an LS1). You'll get more HP per CI, weight savings, and the car can be realistically driven daily because you'll get excellent fuel economy (a six-speed would be really cool, too). And you'd still enjoy being able to drive something unique. The most cost effective thing to do, though, is to simply drop a good running 350 or 400 in there.

Jim

Old 05-14-03, 06:57 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
True, all depends on what it is. If you're in the Pontiac circles, original and restored has its place, as do modded cars.

Newsflash: Most of the "high end" cars are either a) gone, b) restored, c) owned by people that will "get around to restoring them one day". What you find most times is the garden variety ones like these.

Something to be said for a car that's close to 35 years old that is still in one basic piece. Preserve history and keep it the way it is .

Old 05-14-03, 09:53 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Turbojimmy, I agree, except the 350 part. What I am saying is--take a '66 lemans/tempest (326/0HC) very nice original car and try to sell it. You'll get 5-10k. Build a mild 455 and set it up with right drive train and you can get 15k for it--20k if you make it look like a GTO. Now I do not suggest this--only witness it all the time. I personally look for very clean non high--po cars with bad motors, because I love to build 400/455 powered pontiacs. You say you got a nice car but the 326 is toast? You can save the motor but there is no reason, chuck it in the river, and build a 400, parts are cheaper and more readily available, and you will have something that will run good and have a higher resale value.
#'s matching means nothing if you have a car nobody wants. And no the collector car market is not slowing, actually I have found in the past year that I have been able to make some nice $ on collector cars--the stock market sure ain't gonna do it. I find the classic car market like houses around here--they sell like hotcakes! Very expensive hotcakes!

Old 05-14-03, 11:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Long run netting it out---you lose on cars. Real estate is better .

The value depends on where you look and who you talk to. I have seen clean examples of slow poke cars going for a good buck, while the basket case hi-po cars missing half the parts just sit there and rot.

There's an ass for every seat. Each person has their own varied opinion on the subject.

Mine is that modding a car is a piece of cake. With most US cars just about anything works with it. Recreating history is harder, because you have to be a dectective.

I only buy what's authentic. If it came with a 455, I'm going to buy it that way .

Old 05-14-03, 06:11 PM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Realestate is much better--I am selling now for quite a profit--but the cars are fun and good for short term turnovers.