Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Electrical and VSS questions

05-13-03, 11:48 PM   #1  
Electrical and VSS questions

Hey Joe,

Couple questions here.........this is on my 1989 Camaro, 5.0 vin E, TBI:

First, I got a code 24 for VSS. I see the location in the book, but in parentheses it says "buffer" next to the vehicle speed listing. What does this mean, and barring a bad connection, should I replace this sensor?

Secondly, big electrical question. Tonight I got into my car and started it. Thenk I turned on my headlights. The buzzer that comes on when you leave your lights on without the key in the ignition stays on the whole time, even with the car running. In addition, my temp gauge reads "pegged" at 260. Ammeter and Oil Pressure gauges are completely dropped out with no readings. These are bad readings. I have an Auto Xray scanner - battery and charging system is OK, temp is within normal limits, and I believe the oil pressure is fine - it was this morning. I noticed these changes on the freeway, and stopped to open the hood. The expansion tank was only half full (not over boiling), and the battery reading at the battery, car running was 13.9.

What is the probable source of the short condition?

Thanks

Maitai

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-14-03, 03:39 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Maitai:

Check your alternator output closely. Start there and look closely for loose and dirty grounds.

Do you have a wiring diagram? Buy a Alldata.com subscription if you do not.

Visiting Guest

05-14-03, 09:37 AM   #3  
tstokka
check your ground to the chassis from the battery. I've had a simmilar problem and thats what it ended up being

05-14-03, 01:13 PM   #4  
Sorry.........

10A fuse blown. Everything works now. Dark last night, so unable to check it out.

Regards,

Maitai

05-14-03, 10:20 PM   #5  
New Problem!!!!!

Joe,

Blowing 10A fuses on the slot marked "gauges". Again, charging system is working, engine not overheating. Is there a way to trouble shoot using the fuse slot with a light tester? I'm weak on electrical........

Thanks,

Maitai

Visiting Guest

05-15-03, 03:57 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Do you have a wiring diagram for the vehicle????

05-16-03, 03:41 PM   #7  
Joe,

Yes, I do. Just got alldata subscription.

Visiting Guest

05-16-03, 04:01 PM   #8  
Joe_F
Check all battery connections and grounds closely for integrity, looseness and corrosion. Let's start there.

05-16-03, 07:59 PM   #9  
Thanks Joe,

I will give them a good once over and write back with the results.

Maitai

Search this Thread