jackstands

Old 05-14-03, 01:07 AM
jackstands

1989 Honda Accord LXI FI

I am needing to replace the Power Steering Pump Pressure hose and will need to get underneath this car. I want to use two jack stands and I need to know where to place them. There is only floor board under the car (no frame that I can find). Where is the best/safest location for placing these stands on this car? Any other ideas?

Thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-03, 03:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Put it under the lower control arms or front engine support cradle.

Autolibrary.org (link below) or a service manual will have jacking instructions/placement.

Old 05-22-03, 02:41 PM
hardrockball
Visiting Guest
Question replacing the hose

I need to replace the PS hose on my 89 Accord. The Chilton books
only refer to replacing the rack. Is there anyplace that can give some "pointers" or better instruction. The message about the jackstands will help. Do I really have to disconnect the tie rods, etc. etc.

Old 05-22-03, 04:38 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
1) Autolibrary.org below
2) A better manual at the local library.
3) A 25 dollar Alldata.com subscription.
4) A Honda service manual (Ebay or links in my signature file below).

Old 05-22-03, 08:39 PM
hardrockball

hardrockball,

are you referring to the Pressure hose - the one that runs around from the front of the car around to the left and underneath?

on my '89 Accord LXI Fuel Injection, there's a shut-off switch inline w/ the PS pressure hose (runs from the pump all the way below the car and goes into the rack and pinion - there's a plastic cover below with three bolts to remove to get to the rack assembly). I believe on '89 carbureted Accords, there is no inline switch, and this type prices at $130 at Advance Auto Parts in my town. The FI system, which does have the inline switch, prices at about $60. If you look down into the engine compartment right before the hose goes underneath, you will be able to see if this has the switch.

As far as I can tell (I haven't taken it out yet), all that's needed to replace it, is to remove it from the rack and pinion (a #10 wrench - after dropping the cover), and a few bolts that hold the gromet type fittings to the frame where the hose goes underneath. I estimate a one-hour job after getting it up on two jackstands placed up front. There is no need to remove the tie rods.

carburetor or FI, I don't think there's any difference in removal/installation, except for the switch. I did take off a hose from an '88 from the salvage yard. It turned out to be the wrong hose :-(

-t'tal

PS) thanks, Joe_F for your help here - the links you provided are good!

the following will take you to Advance Auto Parts for the various hoses w/ pictures:

http://www.partsamerica.com/SelectParts.asp?DestinationPage=SelectParts%2Easp&SourceArea=ACCOUNT&PartType=18&PTSet=A&Description=Steering&SourcePage=PartTypes&SearchFor=Power+Steering+Pressure+Hose

Old 05-23-03, 03:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No problem.