Wet GMC

Old 05-15-03, 03:26 AM
Wet GMC

I have a 1989 GMC Extended Cab Truck. It has a 2.8 liter 6 cylinder motor. My problem is this: every time it rains, I can pull up the mat on the driver's side floorboard, and the carpet and padding underneath will be soaking wet. I will clean it up with a wet/dry vac, and the next time it rains, it will be wet again. I have looked under the dash and steering wheel assembly, and can not find where the water is coming in. Any ideas where to check for the water entering the truck?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-03, 03:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have a glass shop look it over. Good chance of a leaky windshield.

Old 05-15-03, 05:58 AM
Only if it applies:

Check if you have an alarm or other aftermarket accessory where they may have passed a wire through the firewall. I have seen many not sealed properly.

I have also seen ones that are sealed on the outside and water enteres the inside of the harness under the hood and leaks under the dash.

Larry

Old 05-15-03, 11:22 AM
boofwv
Visiting Guest
I had an '88 Toyota pickup that would do that also. It was because the drain line from the air conditioner condensate tray was clogged. I had to blow the drain line with compressed air once a year or so. Made me crazy until I figured it out.....

Old 05-15-03, 12:23 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Fresh air vent in front of windshield may have rust/hole or seam. 89 model but depends on where the truck was driven, could be rusted thru in some spot. You get a chance, take a hose and trickle a good stream into the vent area and see what you got. Fact is, get a buddy and trickle water from top of W/S center and watch inside, maybe you can find or get an idea of what you are up against. Remove the kick panel before you start.