Cooling fan wont kick in???

Old 05-15-03, 05:10 AM
Angry Cooling fan wont kick in???

Only when stuck in traffic, my temp gauge on my 1987 Honda Accord LXi creeps up but the cooling fan wont kick in... I am forced to turn the heater on so I can get the engine temperature down so I wont damage the engine. I have already replaced the coolant, thermostat, fan switch and bled the system.

The thing is that the fan DOES turn on and runs for about 15 minutes like its supposed to when hot once I turn the car OFF, so it seems that the car DOES know that its hot.

My question is whats preventing the fan from turning on when idling hot, but it works fine once the car is shut off??

All is fine otherwise... any ideas would help. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-03, 06:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Are you sure you changed the right fan switch???

You may also have a clogged radiator or missing cooling dam underneath.

Old 05-15-03, 08:34 AM
yup... i changed the correct one according to the manual.

all shields/dams are in place.... and the radiator was drained and loked clean. Only happens in heavy trafic... and then the fan does start but only when the car is shut off

Old 05-15-03, 09:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The radiator may still be stuffed. Have it boiled out professionally or replace it.

You may also have a stuck thermostat too.

Old 05-19-03, 05:23 AM
Well, I replaced the fan switch in the bottom of the radiator with one I got from the junkyard and now the fan is working fine. I guess the one I got from Auto Zone was not spec'd out correctly.

I guess for coolant temp switches and cooling sensors, we better off buying from the dealer. (I had a similar problem with a coolant temp sensor for a temp gauge on a 88 Grand Prix a while back)

Old 05-19-03, 09:13 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Not really. Just need to buy good quality parts .