Oil fouled spark plug.

Old 05-15-03, 07:44 AM
Oil fouled spark plug.

Ok, here's the problem. I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse 2.0 liter DOHC 4cyl non-turbo. About a week ago, I got a CEL, so I went to Autozone to have them read it. I can't remember the code # that came up, but it said "cylindar 3 misfire". I just had a tune up done in November that included new plugs and wires. I took off the ignition coil last night to take it to Autozone to have it checked. They couldn't check it, but suggested I check out the plugs and wires, just to make sure everything was OK. I pulled the #3 plug first, because that's the one that was giving the code, and on the threaded part of the plug there was a good deal of oil. The rest looked fine, but I was wondering what oil on a plug could mean. Sorry this was so long. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-03, 08:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It likely has a bad valve cover gasket or O-ring seal which is letting oil down into the chamber area/plug wire causing a misfire.

Barring that, it burns oil .

Old 05-15-03, 09:45 AM
Ok....the valve cover gasket thing I understand, but what is meant by o-ring? Like an o-ring on an injector? Forgive me, I am a little knowledgeable about this stuff, but I still have a lot to learn. Also, when you say "burning oil"....what exactly does that mean? Thanks

Old 05-15-03, 09:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Some valve covers use O ring type seals around the spark plug holes to seal the oil from going down the chamber like that. They go bad and the oil finds its way down there and can screw up the spark plug wires and set a code.

I'd bet this is what is happening.

Burning oil is just that. It means that oil is being burned by the spark plugs and the engine needs a rebuild.

Old 05-15-03, 10:16 AM
Any idea if the 2.0 liter DOHC engine in the Eclipse does, in fact, use this type of O-ring seal? Would this be corrected by replacing the valve cover gasket?

Old 05-15-03, 10:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If the spark plugs are recessed (deep down in the cylinder head), yes it does.

Either way, chances are the valve cover (whatever set up it has) is leaking. Change it. Start there.

You'll need a scanner to reset the check engine light. Autozone should be able to do that for you.