Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Strut mounts

Visiting Guest

05-16-03, 07:44 PM   #1  
juiceplus
Strut mounts

I have a 1997 Avalon only 45,000 miles. For the last year, it has been making alot of noise coming from the front wheels, especially over bumps. I was told it was the struts, which were replaced today. They did not replace the strut mounts cause they told me they were alright. However, I can still barely hear the noise. My questions are this:

Would replacing the struts quiet the noise without replacing the strut mounts?

Can you change just the strut mounts without the need of the spring compressor?

How much does it cost to change the strut mounts by a certified mechanic?

Sponsored Links

05-17-03, 12:41 AM   #2  
Obviously, I can't hear the noise, but I've seen loose tie-rod ends create a rattling sound when driving over rough roads..So this could also be part of the noise problem..
As for changing the strut mounts, It takes the same procedure as changing out the strut catridges.. Romove the strut assy. from the car, compress the spring in a spring compressor, remove the nut on the top of the strut, release the spring pressure, then replace the mount..
So, yes, it takes a compressor(spring) and labor should be about the same (maybe a little more) as replacing the strut catridge, plus cost of mount..

05-17-03, 03:57 AM   #3  
There is a TSB for that noise and it's for a revised strut mount.

I hate to be in the middle but, struts on a Toyota will last 100,000 +. As long as the strut wasn't damaged or leaking we have eliminated the noise by replacing just the mounts.

Where did you have the work done?

Larry

Visiting Guest

05-17-03, 07:00 AM   #4  
Joe_F
I agree with Larry. My neighbor bought a 97 Avalon new, he hated it. He sold it in 2 years and went back to an Acura. Said he was disappointed with the ride.

I'll bet this was the cause!

Visiting Guest

05-17-03, 11:19 AM   #5  
juiceplus
Thanks for the replies. It is my understanding that these Avalons have a problem with strut mounts. I wish they would have replaced them at the same time. (I thought they were)

Also, they did not align the front end. They told me on that car, it would not be necessary. It seems to be in alignment but I search through these posts and it appears that is what they should have done. Am I correct?

Visiting Guest

05-17-03, 11:23 AM   #6  
juiceplus
Originally posted by toyotaman11769
There is a TSB for that noise and it's for a revised strut mount.

I hate to be in the middle but, struts on a Toyota will last 100,000 +. As long as the strut wasn't damaged or leaking we have eliminated the noise by replacing just the mounts.

Where did you have the work done?

Larry
I had it done at a local mechanic shop I have been going to for years.

Can replacing the struts quiet the noise somewhat even though the strut mounts are bad?

05-17-03, 11:46 AM   #7  
Some times it pays to go to the dealer who knows more about their product than any one else. At the dealer you would of got just tops possibly and had your concern corrected.

Or find a shop who has all the references, services available and special tools.

As far a alignment goes there is about 1 degree of camber to work with in the play of the strut to knuckle bolts, where do you tighten it up? God only knows what the above does to the camber and toe.

Bottom line is you need to do an alignment.

Joe you right about the orginal tops gave the Avalon the ride of an "Avaload"!

Larry

Visiting Guest

05-18-03, 05:57 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Larry:

These folks have been my next door neighbors since my parents bought our house new in 1968 .

I don't think I can bring it to the guy and tell him the terrible ride was due to something Toyota should have fixed. LOL. He just traded in his 2000 Acura RL (nice car) for a 2003 TL because the RL "hit 50k and things will start to go wrong" LOL.

He's had Acuras since 1986 when they first came out.

Search this Thread