Car won't start when warm

Old 05-17-03, 02:45 PM
Terah
Visiting Guest
Car won't start when warm

I have an 89 Pontiac Bonneville SE. The car will start if it's cold, but not if it's hot or been running for a while. We have replaced the alternator, starter, fuel filter and added gas treatment and fuel injector cleaner. The fuel pump was replaced about a year ago. It gets spark and we thought it was getting gas because it does start sometimes. When it won't start, it turns over and putters then dies. Sometimes it doesn't putter, just cranks but won't start. We pushed on the valve on the fuel rail and it shot gas out, then we tested for spark and it does get spark. Then we tried the fuel rail again, just out of frustration and nothing came out. We tried to start it a few times to get fuel to the fuel rail and still no fuel comes out. Any one have any suggestions. I would really appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-03, 06:36 PM
Sounds like the module went bad. Don't know about your model but they are usually under the distributor.

Old 05-18-03, 04:51 AM
Check the fuel pressure with a guage and get back to us.The little generic test you are doing tells you nothing.Just because the pump was changed last year doesn't mean it's ok now.Check the pressure when it doesn't start and while it's running good.

Old 05-18-03, 05:19 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Davo is correct. Autozone can rent you the needed gauge.

Old 05-18-03, 11:48 AM
Terah
Visiting Guest
Well we can't find anyone that will rent us a guage and to buy it would be $45. From what I've described do you think that it may be the fuel pump? or maybe the fuel pressure regulator?

Old 05-19-03, 09:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Can't tell. Must check the fuel pressure with the gauge. 45 bucks is spit in the bucket versus changing parts that cost 50 to 100 bucks each and may not be the problem.

Have you tried Autozone? They have a fuel pressure gauge to rent.

Old 05-19-03, 09:48 AM
Terah
Visiting Guest
I tried napa, checker and autozone. We're just gonna bring it into the shop. I don't wanna pay $45 for a guage and then have to also pay the $160 for the fuel pump to be replaced. Thank you for all the help and advise. Have a great day!

Old 05-19-03, 01:17 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Try another Autozone, I'm SURE they rent those gauges!

Figure shop labor is easily 65 bucks an hour, that pays for the gauge right there .

Old 05-20-03, 07:13 AM
Terah
Visiting Guest
Smile

It was the fuel pump. the guy at the shop says that there has been a common problem with the aftermarket ones. He says that one of the leads from the pump was making an intermittent connection. that was why it would work one time and not another I guess. He showed us that one of the car magazines wrote an article on it.
At least it's running right now and it has a new fuel pump, fuel filter, starter and alternator in it. hehehe Now I hope that I don't have some electrical problem that caused all of those to go bad pretty much at the same time. I would think that their diagnostics test would have showed that if there was another problem. I hope...

Old 05-20-03, 07:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds feasible.