Turbo Problem

Old 05-17-03, 04:53 PM
DenverProbe
Visiting Guest
Turbo Problem

1991 Ford Probe GT 2.2 liter turbocharged 4 cyl. w/5 speed manual trans. While driving back from the mountains today, my turbo seemed to quit working while going over Bethoud Pass at around 12,400 ft. in altitude. While accelerating up a long hill at full throttle, and approaching the 6K redline, the car suddenly started sputtering and cutting out. When I eased off of the accelerator, the cutting out stopped and the engine ran smooth again. But now, every time that I reach an RPM point in my accelaration that would normally spool up the turbo, the motor cuts out and sputters. The turbo boost gauge will start to rise and you can feel the turbo starting to spool up, but then the engine will suddenly cut out, the turbo boost gauge will drop back down and the turbo thrust will stop. I have heard that there might be some kind of overboost cutoff sensor/switch/valve that will shut down the electric fuel pump if it "thinks" that there is an overboost condition. Has anyone heard of this or is anyone familiar with this problem? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-03, 06:05 PM
Quite often a perceived "turbo problem" is a problem with the basic engine systems. Fuel or ignition, when the turbo spools up, a greater load is put on these systems.

When was the last time filters changed? Codes? etc. It usually always goes back to the basics.

Larry

Old 05-18-03, 04:55 AM
I had a similar problem years ago on a turbo Sunbird,ended up being the ignition coil couldn't fire the plugs under the increased cylinder pressure during boost.

Old 05-18-03, 05:15 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Larry as well.

Why did you spool it up to 6k? That's asking for a rod to go through the bottom end. NEVER spool an engine to redline like that, it does NOTHING but potentially kill the engine

Old 05-18-03, 06:05 AM
Had the same exact problem years ago on a Mitsu 3000 GT that would loose power when it hit boost. Turned out the same, weak coil pack.

First I would check codes, then drive with a fuel pressure gage attached and check fuel pressure when it dies out.

Larry

Old 05-18-03, 10:01 AM
DenverProbe
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. The car has been well maintained with annual tuneups, regular oil changes as well as filter replacements. The fuel filter was replaced within the past year. When under max acceleration conditions, I normally shift around 5K but under the conditions I was in, I pushed it beyond normal and shifted around 5800 this time, which is extremely rare.

I am mechanically minded but not a mechanic. My experience lies back with the old non-electronically controlled V8 days. So while I understand about codes, I don't have the equipment to check them, nor do I know how to check them with a voltmeter. So my answer to the codes is that I don't know what they are.

I was hoping to get some ideas to look at and try myself before I schedule it in for service. I just drove the car again this morning and it runs just perfect under all conditions - until I rev it high enough to induce the turbo to spool up. Once it does, the engine, (though still accelerating), will cut out badly.

Any suggestions are welcome. If nothing comes to fruition today, I will simply schedule in for service.

Thanks!

Old 05-19-03, 09:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. Normally shift at 5 grand? That motor can't really take that kind of abuse . It also does nothing more than waste fuel and wear things out faster .

If you lack the proper equipment to check it out, it's time for professional service. Guessing will get very expensive .

Old 05-28-03, 10:01 AM
DenverProbe
Visiting Guest
I was able to get this repaired myself and thought I would post the results in case anyone else runs into a problem like it. Through some research, I found that I was most likely losing air pressure somewhere in the turbo air lines when the turbo spooled up - a blown hose in other words. I focused right in on the little rubber boot that attaches the metal hose coming from the intercooler, to the throttle body at the intake assy and sure enough, when I removed it, parts of it disintegrated in my hands. It had several "chunks" missing with several cracks in it as well.

Unfortunately, Ford was not able to identify the part and said that it was dicontinued anyhow and couldn't order it. I tried several salvage yards with no luck. I finally called Mazda, told them it was for a '91 MX-6 GT with Turbo, (different cars - identical drivetrains) and not only was she able to locate the part, but had it in stock. Part no. F221-13-225A $74.00

I installed it, I'm on the road again and ready to "Whoosh" my way back over Berthoud Pass again. Thanks,

Old 05-28-03, 10:25 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yup, Ford may have dropped the parts but Mazda still keeps them. One advantage of having a crossover vehicle like that.

My coworker had the same trouble, but he has a 3.0 Probe; Mazda didn't use the 3.0 in their version so he was stuck .