Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

oxygen sensor

Visiting Guest

05-18-03, 12:12 PM   #1  
slade
oxygen sensor

I live on a very low income,so I have to take advantage of used parts,when ever I can find them.I 'm having trouble with my car shutting off.I've been told that it's my oxygen sensor.I have a 1993 plymouth acclaim.I plan on taking it to a garage,and getting it tested.If the sensor isn't working properly,can someone please tell me if the oxygen sensor from a 1991 dodge,shadow,4 cylinder,fit a 1993 acclaim 4 cylinder,if so will I be able to remove the sensor from the dodge,by just using a stantard wrench,or will I need a torque wrench.Thank you....Slade.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-18-03, 01:02 PM   #2  
darrell McCoy
Check with parts place and see if the numbers are the same. I doubt it, but they can tell you for sure. You dont need a torque wrench, but a good deep well 6pt socket would help. I wouldnt gamble on a used o2 sensor myself.

Visiting Guest

05-19-03, 07:37 AM   #3  
slade
02 sensor

Thank you Joe_F,and knuckles.I did like you said,I disconnected the 02 sensor,drove the car for a bit,and it still stalled out.I had a mechanic do a computer code check,by reading it from the dash,and it showed the 02 sensor was working fine.I was assuming that the 02 sensor was bad,because a mechanic discovered it had been disconnected for some time,and it was corroted pretty bad,he cleaned it up,and reconnected it,he also dissconnected the connector near the battery,and erased the memory from the computer,and reconnected it.I took it for a run,and he checked the codes from the dash again,it worked fine for a couple of days,then the car stalled out again.I can hear the fuel pump racing when the car is about to stall out.This thing has been driving me nuts for quite some time now.I've had the fuel pump,checked,replaced the fueline filter,checked the lines for obstruction,changed the trottle body,according to the #.codes reading on the dashboard everything seems to be working fine,but the car is still stalling.I've had it to several mechanics,each one seems to find something different,but can't seem to find the exact problem.If I disconnect the connector near the battery that erasses everything from the computer,and leave it for a few minutes,when I plug it in again the car will run fine for a couple of days,but eventually it will stall again.I'm making arrangements to have a scanner sensor check in a couple of days I hope this will tell me exactly what the problem is.Thank you for replys,I really appreciate it.

Visiting Guest

01-07-04, 12:42 PM   #4  
slade
93 chrysler acclame

Hi,I havn't been here for a while.I was here about 7-8 months ago looking for help due to my my 93 acclame not getting the gas.I had a mechanic check the car,he put 3 new fuel pumps on it didn't fix the problem,so he put the old one back on.I had the gas line checked for any obstruction,nothing there.I had all the sensors checked,everything was fine there,mother board was fine.After going to several mechanics,I was ready to give up,because no one could tell me what the problem was.When my car would stop running it would happen at about the same driving distance every time.I made one more attempt to find the problem on the internet.I came across a chrysler help site similar to this one,and explained the problem I was having in there.They advised me to check my my gas cap,to see if it was fitting,and working properly,they also advised me the next time my car stalled to remove the gas cap for a few minutes,to see if it was air locking,and put it back on loosely,and see what happens.I did what they sujjested,started the car,and it ran the best kind.I also noticed that the gas cap somehow got damaged,the large black part that clicks when the cap is screwed in was missing.I wasn't aware of this,because my wife drives the car 90% of the time,and she didn't mention it.I replaced the gas cap with a new one,and the car has been running,without any problem,ever since.My problem originated around the end of Feb, 2003,it was June before I finally got the problem figured out.If your car stops getting gas you figure if you take it to a lisenced garage it won't take long to find the problem.In my case it was 3 licensed garages,,4 months,and finally mY perserverance on the internet was what finally solved the problem,an air locked gas tank,may have just as well have been a burnt out motor,because my wife,and I had a bad case of wrecked nerves.I'm posting this message,just in case you come across a similar problem,in the future.These help sites on the internet,are a wonderful help,I think they're just great.Thank you.......Slade.ps...sorry the message is so long.

NY

03-31-04, 05:30 AM   #5  
My '89 Spirt gets poorer fuel milage in the winter worse than before. I had the engine on a dianostic machine and they claim the O2 sensor should be replaced.
It is a heated type thast was replaced 5 years ago (35,000 miles). Sounds a little early to replace it.
I have a OBD reader and the O2 responds to changes, but most of the time it is showing 'Rich'.

Any ideas?

03-31-04, 03:30 PM   #6  
Why are you jumping in on somebody elses very old post with a whole new car and question? If you have a question about your own car, just start a new thread.

NY

04-01-04, 06:52 AM   #7  
The '93 Acclaim and a '89 Spirit are about the same car!
They both have to do wirth a O2 sensor.

Why start another thread on the SAME subject? Of the 40 or so forums I visit this is the first that complained about NOT starting a new thread!

04-01-04, 12:31 PM   #8  
The original poster asked a question. All posts should be in response to his question and/or his vehicle. Getting off on a different vehicle and a different question just confuses everybody trying to follow it, especially if someone wants to respond to the original question after yours shows up. Start a new thread for a new subject and keep all responses to that vehicle within the same thread. It's much easier to follow.

VA

04-01-04, 01:51 PM   #9  
exactly!

don't change the subject vehicle and information by introducing a different vehicle to the conversation...thanks

04-01-04, 03:25 PM   #10  
Thread has been edited by Davo.

Search this Thread