Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

restoring stainless steel?

05-18-03, 06:55 PM   #1  
restoring stainless steel?

i recently bought a 1950 dodge truck, it was in the process of being turned into a street rod but the owner threw out his shoulder. anyways there is alot of stainless steel and some of it has pits and surface rust, how would i get that off without scratching it???? thanks

Sponsored Links

05-18-03, 07:27 PM   #2  
Try the tile cleaner that you spray into the tub & tile. I have great success with this product or you can buy those stainless steel cleaner @ the Home Depot. I hope this helps.

Otto

NY

05-18-03, 08:28 PM   #3  
restoring stainless

You can get a buffing wheel and install it in place of the stone on your grinder, and with some polish and practice on a few junkyard pieces, you will do fairly well. You can find polishing supplies in the Eastwood Auto restoration catalog or on their web site. If you have some badly damaged parts you may want to send your pieces to a professional, especially if you want "show quality" results. I used Pro One Polishing of Hobart, Indiana, (800) 999-1677, and they turned pitted and smashed body side mouldings into "showroom new" at a very reasonable price. There are other firms that offer this service and you can find them at Hemmings Motor News web site under services offered.Good luck.

Visiting Guest

05-19-03, 09:17 AM   #4  
Joe_F
I agree with Grandspan.

05-19-03, 11:03 AM   #5  
thank you

thanks everyone for your knowledge

Search this Thread