bronco 2 2.9 motor 1988 auto

Old 05-21-03, 04:03 AM
WAYNE
Visiting Guest
bronco 2 2.9 motor 1988 auto

I have a question? I took the throttle body off to put a new gasket on. and found oil in the upper intake manifold, just where the throttle body connects to the intake manifold. there is a area on the manifold that was left from the casting where I found oil is this normal. and if not what could cause this? I changed the valve cover beather it hooks to the throttle body by a hose. I am asking this because smoke is comeing out of the tell pipe (white smoke) the motor only has about 75 thousand mile on it. it smokes sometime when its ideling or when I take off. I checked the oil and it is good, no water in the oil.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-03, 04:07 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What does the smoke smell like?

Old 05-21-03, 04:17 AM
WAYNE
Visiting Guest
I am told it smell like gas

Old 05-21-03, 08:52 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You could have a leaky fuel pressure regulator as well.

Check the fuel pressure with a gauge.

Old 05-21-03, 10:22 AM
WAYNE
Visiting Guest
ok I will check.what about the oil in the intake? and thanks for your help

Old 05-21-03, 10:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It could be a number of things. One at a time. How is the PCV system?

Old 05-23-03, 09:43 AM
CustomIron
Visiting Guest
i have an 86 BII 2.9 mitsubishi 5 speed O/D also,
#1,if its the fuel pressure regulator,it would be dumping fuel through a vacuum hose right into the intake,would hardly idle because of all the fuel its dumping in it,i already have been through that ordeal,easiest way to check it pull the little vacuum hose off from the regulator to the intake,see if it sucking fuel through it.
#2 if you are getting "white" smoke out the exhaust,it is burnin oil,not too much fuel,if it was too much fuel it would be just be burnin black out of the exhaust,it could be a possibilty that it is minor as such a PVC valve
#3,you could have a burned valve,bad or cracked rings,thus blow back into the intake,dumping oil in it in the process & burning it when it returns into the cylinder chamber,process of elimination=wet & dry compression test
#4,could possibly be the vacuum modulator on your automatic transmission,it will burn white smoke out of the exhaust becuase it is sucking trans fluid into the intake,there is a vacuum hose that runs from a vacumm modulator on the side of the trans to the intake,take the hose of at the trans,which is the lowest point where the trans fluid will sit when not running,see if has trans fluid in it,if it does,thats a quick & easy fix,one bolt & a few bucks,new modulator,but,if it is that,your transmision would lag on its shifting

"Process of Elimination"is the best & only way to find a problem you are having & none of it is very complicated

Old 05-23-03, 10:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Tranny fluid is grey more than white when it burns....

White smoke smelling sweet is coolant. Bluish smoke is oil. Blackish sooty smoke is excess fuel.

It is very easy to determine if it is coolant. A gas analyzer or a cooling systemm analyzer will determine the presence of hydrocarbons in the cooling system. With that in mind, that's a blown head gasket/cracked cylinder head.