Wax

Old 05-21-03, 04:48 AM
pon1
Visiting Guest
Question Wax

Hi all,

I bought a new 2003 Ford Explorer XLT Sport during the winter. Now, with the weather getting warmer here in the Midwest I'd like to protect the paint with some quality wax/paint protectant. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good wax/paint protectant. I'd really like to get the best stuff out there.

Thanks,
Pon

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-03, 10:07 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You'll get varied opinions on this one....

Zymol and Meguiar's are the best out there.

Old 05-21-03, 10:51 AM
pon1
Visiting Guest
What about these Teflon or PTFE polishes that claim they last five years (i.e., 5star & Toughguard)? I'm a bit skeptical on those products. I've heard that Teflon, to be properly adhered, has to be applied at over 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

Old 05-21-03, 12:30 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No. Wax often with good quality product and you'll be fine.

That stuff was bogus in the 1970's !

Old 05-21-03, 12:36 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Lots of opinions. I have ran the gauntlet on polishes in the past 50 years. 4 bucks a can to 15 bucks a can. None will last 5 years. Most wont last a year. 3 months really stretch's it. Lots are gone the first car wash. I have started using meguires and like it. Use the meguires detail spray in between was jobs. A little clay magic if I pick up any undesireable contaminants. El cheapo "kit" wax dont do to bad. But both veh's are garage kept, dont see muddy roads or dusty roads and very little salt for that matter.

Old 05-21-03, 08:25 PM
pon1
Visiting Guest
Wax

Thanks everyone! I've heard much about Meguiar's and, I think that's the avenue I'll take. My neighbor used to own his own body shop and (I believe) told me to use Meguiar's as well (he's out of town much so I don't have many opportunities to confirm what he said). Thanks again!