timing chain

Old 05-21-03, 09:36 AM
steve
Visiting Guest
timing chain

I HAVE A 1993 JEEP WRANGLER 4 CY. WHEN TRYING TO START IT IT BACK FIRES . I THINK IT IS THE TIMMING CHAIN.PLEASE HELP.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-03, 10:05 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Possibly. Need more information to be able to help. See "Read here before posting" and post back.

Kill the caps, no need to shout.

Old 06-05-03, 12:48 PM
John Bruner
Visiting Guest
May I Pipe In Here?

I recently developed a problem that I believed was a timing chain issue. I have my 91 Jeep 4-cly timing chain cover off, but see no evidence of a problem (i.e. broken gear teeth; sloppy chain; metal filings or scratch marks). Before I button it back up, is there a way I can verify the cam-to-crank shaft alignment is right to be sure the timing chain didn't skip before I button it back up?

Old 06-05-03, 12:50 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
How many miles? You've gone this far, the gear and chain set is cheap. Change it anyhow.

Use autolibrary.org to guide you.

Old 06-05-03, 07:16 PM
Timing chains dont generally go... usually its the cheap plastic pieces they put in there to either be guides or on the teeth to reduce noise that fail. If you dont see any problems then I personally would not do anything, unless you just want to.
For fear of sounding like Joe here........ A detailed manual will assist you in making sure you have all of your marks lined up. They are cheap enough.
Billy

Old 06-07-03, 08:36 AM
John Bruner
Visiting Guest
Found Alignment Marks

Thanks for the helpful tips. I went to the local library and referenced the Chiltons manual (the online reference kept saying it didn't recognize 1991 Wrangler or other variations of yr/model entries).

There is a thin metal shield or shim that goes on the crank shaft against the crank shaft gear that was hiding the alignment mark. This shield blended in with the gear face and looked like part of the gear, so until I read the manual, I had no idea it was there.

Anyway, the marks line up perfectly; the slack adjuster was not damaged and the chain and gears are in good shape so I am putting it all back together and if I still have a problem with the rough running and backfiring, I will look at the ignition components (distributor components, plug wires and plugs) next.

I know that normally its wisest to check the simple stuff first, but knowing how much damage a misaligned timing chain/gear issue can cause w/ lifters, valves and even pistons, I didn't dare do anything requiring turning over the engine more than I already had. I feel very lucky it isn't a timing chain issue, even with all the work it took to rule this out.