Oil Pressure low

Old 05-22-03, 06:50 AM
jabari
Visiting Guest
Oil Pressure low

I am wondering what is the correct oil pressure reading for a 95 Chevy S-10. My oil pressure Idels around 30. When I am driving it goes up to 40 but never passes. Lately at a stop it has ben dropping all the way down in the red to around 10. Could this be a faulty sending unit or Oil Pump.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-03, 07:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Neither. Could be a normal condition.

Do not rely on the dashboard gauge for accuracy. Get a hand held pressure gauge from Autozone (they will rent you one), and check the pressure versus the spec in the service manual or autolibrary.org below.

Old 05-22-03, 07:32 AM
jabari
Visiting Guest
Thanks
Joe

Old 05-22-03, 07:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No problem. Let us know the results.

Old 05-22-03, 07:12 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Like Joe sez, manual check pressure, however I have driven several 95 and 96 models like that with 4.3's. The dash guages on them read 60 at 70MPH and about 35/40 at idle with 5/30 and 10/30 oil. Bear in mind, those OEM guages are not a high price guage.

Old 05-23-03, 03:53 PM
Just another thing to confuse you. Yes, follow all the good advice above first. when you want to start changing things, I used to have a S-10 a few years older than yours. Before I started to learn how to do some of my own work, I had low oil readings, and went to a dealer. The mechanic said 'we replace the sender units by the bushel full', and it might be the cheapest and easiest thing to change.

Old 05-23-03, 05:13 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
While the senders do go bad, there should be no need to change parts without testing them to damn them as bad first .