can't scan?

Old 05-22-03, 02:11 PM
can't scan?

2001 Blazer 2dr 4wd 21,000 4.3l 6cyl

I was driving to work this morning and my SES light came on. After work I dropped my car off at my mechanic (of 10 years). The mechanic I usually deal with wasn't there (hes been sick) so I dealth withhis partner. I told him that the light came on and I'd like him to scan it. If it was something relatively inexpensive like an 02 sensor to change it (going to PA tomorrow and need car fast) but if it was larger to please call me because the truck is still under warranty and then I'd take it to the dealer. Right away he starts with the "I won't even get to it until tomorrow" routine but I leave the car because his partner and I have a great relationship. To get to the point, he calls me 2 hours later and says he can't scan a 2001 because he doesn't have the"chip" to do it. I found this a little odd being that the car is 2 years old. Does this sound like a feasible reason for not being able to scan my car or did he just not want to scan it if its ultimately going to the dealer? I was more than willing to pay the diagnostic fee. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-03, 04:27 PM
Aftermarket scan tools require updates periodically and include keys for the scanner.If he hasn't updated lately that is why.If the shop only sees a few 2001 and up for those repairs it's not worth the investment until the vehicles are out of warranty.

Old 05-26-03, 06:04 PM
I agree with Davo.. For example, we have a Snap-On scanner, and the latest updated cartridge is always 1 year behind the lasted models..We also have another scanner, and just recently (3-4 months ago) were able to get updates to get us into the 2001 and some 2002 cars..Sounds like the guy is being honest with you.

Old 05-27-03, 03:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
These guys hit the nail on the head. Updated cartridges for scanners are several hundred or thousands of dollars (depending). Not everyone has the latest and greatest at their disposal.

I'm sure he was being honest too.

Search this Thread