Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'90 Camry Evaporator

LA

05-22-03, 03:24 PM   #1  
'90 Camry Evaporator

Friend has 1990 Camry with the 4 cylinder. Evaporator is bad and needs to be replaced. We removed every screw / nut off of the housing that we can see or feel (glove box and surrounding is removed) But the top half of the housing is still in tight. I was hoping Toyota Man or someone could offer an insight to what's still holding the housing. The bottom is off, but it had been broken along the back bottom (towards the firewall) and re-glued with silicon. It appeared the last guy couldn't get it off either.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-22-03, 04:27 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Larry is your man here, but if he doesn't reply, send me your e-mail address and a fax # and I'll see what the Alldata machine at work shows (if you don't have it).

05-22-03, 06:33 PM   #3  
One or two 10mm nut(s) on the top that are on studs, Ampilifer may be covering them? Self tappers on the heater box and blower housings. Usually one or two 10mm on the bottom.

Sometimes you have to yank it, it sticks to the insulation on the fire wall.

Larry

LA

05-23-03, 06:02 AM   #4  
Thanks for the info. I got the two 10mm at the top (and another on the top right which I later realized was just for the blower housing). I guess it's prying time!

Visiting Guest

05-23-03, 06:09 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Dan:

Let me know via e-mail if you need the procedure.

05-26-03, 05:53 PM   #6  
If there is any "play/movement" of the box, but it just doesn't want to come out, take a look down low where the drain tube goes through the firewall.. They run it (usually) though a rubber gasket/grommet.. This alone can "hang" the box, making it feel as if there's another bolt holding it..
Dumb,dumb question, and I shouldn't ask this but you did undo the 2 A/C lines from inside the engine compartment that hook into the evaporator?

05-27-03, 05:56 AM   #7  
2 nuts on top

screw half way down on left side

screw bottom left side

nut bottom middle

screw right side lower(maybe deep between the blower and cooler box)

screw right side upper

Larry

Search this Thread