starter replacement

Old 05-25-03, 07:58 AM
starter replacement

How hard a job is this old man getting into to replace the starter in a 1996 Olds Cierra, 3100 engine?
Hard to crank when engine is hot and nothing indicates that the battery is bad.
I haven't done anything like this for a while. Help and reassurance will be appreciated.
Thanks, Dongee

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-03, 08:42 AM
Hard to crank when engine is hot?

If the starter is cranking, that is, trying to start the engine, it sounds like there is another problem.
Usually a bad starter will only get you a "click'.
Take it somewhere and have it metered, may not cost anything.
Could also be the alternator. S/be putting out 13 volts or so while running.

fred

Old 05-25-03, 09:19 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
First, check that your battery cables are in good shape and there's no corrosion or problems there. Correct as required.

Make sure if the parts book shows a heat shield for this application that it is not missing.

Barring that, it could be other problems such as what Fred described.

If in doubt, take the starter out and have a parts store bench test it. If it's wasted, replace it with an AC Delco rebuilt.

Old 05-26-03, 05:34 PM
Assuming your car actually does need a starter, it's not too bad.
There's a plastic shield that's held in place with a couple 10mm bolts around the starter nose. Getting the plastic shield out in 1 piece can sometimes be the hardest part! Most likely the starter bolts are 15mm. An extention( or 2) , 3/8 ratchet, and a 15mm wobble/swivel socket for the starter, Usually a 15mm nut holds the battery cable to the starter, and an 8mm nut for the ignition wire on the starter..I'd guess doing it on the ground, maybe about an hour to r&r the starter. (don't forget to disconnect the battery first.. too early for 4th of july fireworks!! LOL!)

But, as the other's mentioned, get it checked first..I THINK Autozone can check battery, Alternator, and starter draw right in the parking lot without removing anything..

Old 05-27-03, 06:57 AM
1996 ciera starter replacement

My thanks to all who replied. I DID have it checked, (advance auto) and it WAS a bad battery. A big sigh of relief. So I am happy and my wife is happy, (her car).Thanks again.
We are rather new to this area, so I don't have any idea which is the better place to go to have work done. It is nice to have you "at hand".

Dongee

Old 05-27-03, 08:08 PM
I'm glad it worked out for you!!

Old 05-28-03, 07:22 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Good deal. Always the simple stuff first