Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Won't go into gear

05-25-03, 09:11 PM   #1  
Won't go into gear

1990, Ford F-150 2wd, 300 straight 6, Manual 4spd+OD trans.

Ok so this started out to be just a clutch problem, no big deal I rounded up the parts I would need, (pressure plate, clutch disc, and throw-out bearing). After I got into it though I discovered that the only part in need of replacment was the throw out bearing and the subsequent damage to the concentric style slave cylinder. Well the repair book I am using describes the procedure for removing and installing both the tranny and clutch in detail, one of the steps in removing the tranny is to drain the fluid, (I don't know why, but figured it couldnt hurt anything to change the old out). The re-installation prcedure notes something I've never heard of before though, that is using Dexron or Mercon II fluid rather than the heavy gear oil I would have expected to use.
Not being one to make things more difficult than they already are I went along with this and used the red stuff. Only problem is now with the vehicle at idle and the clutch engaged, I can't get a gear (Grind-O-Matic). Do you think it's a deeper problem with my clutch (which appears to be working fine-lots of pedal and moving in and out of the pressure plate like it should) or the wrong oil?

Sponsored Links

05-26-03, 01:44 AM   #2  
It could be a few things, what do you see with flywheel guard removed and some one presses the clutch? Check to see if the throwout barring carrier is binding. Double check that everything is lined up properly. Also check the peddle and linkage adjustment

05-26-03, 05:33 AM   #3  
I would bleed the clutch system,on the fluid issue did atf come out when you drained the trans?Call Ford or check the owners manual.

Visiting Guest

05-26-03, 05:39 AM   #4  
darrell McCoy
GM was using ATF in manual trans. as far back as 84.

05-26-03, 07:17 AM   #5  
Weld God,
The fly wheel guard is a piece of 14 or 16 ga. steel that is the is actually a spacer between the tranny and block, cant remove it short of removing the tranny again. There is however an inspection hole where you can view the operation of the slave cylinder / clutch operation, which is working properly. It has no linkage or adjusment to speak of all hydraulic.

Davo,
I did bleed the system again (the recomended 10 repetitions). And no the fluid that came out was definetly not ATF, untill now I was taking for granted that the lubricant was supposed to be gear oil. I finally found the owners manual and it does specify Mercon for the 5 speed transmisions.

Visiting Guest

05-26-03, 08:57 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Agree with Davo. What repair book are you using?

05-26-03, 11:40 AM   #7  
Joe F,
The repair book is a Chilton, it's the first one of this brand I have purchased. It doesnt seem to bad (except for the numerous typos and upside down pictures) so I'll chalk it up as experience.

I've yet to find a readily available DIY manual that I can agree with, what do you recomend?

Visiting Guest

05-26-03, 03:28 PM   #8  
Joe_F
The only one TO own: The OEM service manual. Worth every penny. I have one for all of my cars.

www.helminc.com does the Ford ones or find them used on the likes of Ebay for one.

Search this Thread