Transmission leak

Old 05-26-03, 06:05 AM
Transmission leak

I have a 1988 T-Bird Sport coupe with the 5.0 litre engine and automatic transmission, I am losing a small amout of trans fluid out of the hole in the bottom of the bellhousing. Im assuming a seal has worn out even though there is only 62000 miles on the car. I would also assume that the trans has to be removed from the car to repair it, unless there is something else that could be leaking fluid under the bellhousing. The trans was flushed at 50000 miles. I KNOW the trans shops will suggest a replacement trans and that might be cheaper, but the trans in it is performing well and I want to keep the car original. Suggestions? Ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-03, 06:29 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
did you notice color of oil? Dripping from bell housing could posibly be coming from the rear engine seal. How much is the "Small Amount"?

Old 05-26-03, 08:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. Did you take the cover off and have a look???

Old 05-26-03, 10:09 AM
Transmission Leak?

It could be engine oil. it is mixed with too much grime to say for sure. I will take the cover off.

Old 06-04-03, 04:56 PM
Oil Leak

Well, its motor oil, not transmission oil. Must be the rear main seal. I suppose the transmission and torque converter have to be removed. Sources tell me this is not a split seal.