Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1984 S10 blazer engine problem

Visiting Guest

05-27-03, 11:53 AM   #1  
benbyit
1984 S10 blazer engine problem

Thanks to everyone who responded to my previous appeals for help on this project. I now have the engine out and on a stand and have dicovered that someone tried to flush the cooling system with something and 4 of the six freeze plugs are rusted through and leaking, which leads me to believe that they used an acid of some kind and left it in the motor. when I removed the three freeze plugs from the back of the engine (the three behind the fly wheel) I discovered that approximately 1/2-1 pint of gunk consisting of metal shavings and some kind of petroleum residue which combined made a kind of brown paste had deposited itself in the back of the engine. I literally dug it out with my hands and then flush the block with water till it ran clear.
My question is, does any one have any idea where this stuff could have come from, and since the engine was rebuilt about a year ago could this have been from something that happened before. is there a way to make sure the engine is ok now with out taking it down. Oh, there is no water in the oil and when the water runs down the concrete it appears to have gas mixed with it, but doesn't smell like it when coming from the engine. this might be from petroleum products spilt on the concrete. also all of the residue was in the back of the engine where after it lodged would have been extremely hard to get out because the water doesn't flow directly over it when going through the engine. As always any help will be greatly appreciated, bob

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-27-03, 12:40 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Probably BarsLeak is what it is. Have the block professionally cleaned and cleared out.

I would install a rebuilt engine and be done with it.

05-27-03, 11:49 PM   #3  
Now that you have the motor out you might as well tear it down and have a look. Its harder to get the motor out of the car than it is to rebuild it. If the motor was properly rebuilt I was machined and cleaned so I would say it would not have been in there after the rebuild, but if the rebuild was a sham job it might very well be left over. Either way you will need to tear it down and inspect the heads for cracks and broken valve train, and also check your bearings for damage. Any time I am forced to pull a motor I for any reason I change the timing chains and the rings, it a lot easer to maintain while itís on a stand.

Visiting Guest

05-28-03, 07:20 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Unless you have the tools and know-how to do machine work, this is best left to a pro. You WILL do it twice if you don't do it right .

05-28-03, 03:02 PM   #5  
Joe is right, after you get it torn down to the bare block, take it down to a local machine shop that dose engine work and have it cleaned and inspected. Most of the time this will run you about 120$ depending on what you have done. If you really want to keep the truck I would consider getting a re-man 4.3 to put in it.

Search this Thread