Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to replace turn signal switch

05-27-03, 03:03 PM   #1  
How to replace turn signal switch

Hello..I have a 1988 Ford Taurus with Tilt wheel and I need to replace the turn signal switch. I have heard I will need a steering wheel puller and also some type of special tool to remove a Pivot lock. Could you tell me if the above is true and also do I need to be aware of a spring or anything flying out as I pull the steering wheel off. Thanks you guys are great.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-27-03, 03:32 PM   #2  
darrell McCoy
If that is equiped with an air bag, not a DIY job. Could end up in a W.O.S. big time.

05-28-03, 04:13 AM   #3  
It has no air bag. Is this still a no no as far as DIY job. Don't want to get in a W.O.S. but sure would like to fix it myself if practical. What do you think?

Visiting Guest

05-28-03, 06:42 AM   #4  
darrell McCoy
Less complicated without air bag. However it is a chore to do this job WITHOUT a manual to go by. Several things have to be removed, and in order You will need both tools that you mentioned and if you cannot rent them they will run in the neighborhood of 40-50 bucks. This is not a quick snap job. I would not tackle it WITHOUT the proper service manual. Yes, plate is SPRING loaded.

Visiting Guest

05-28-03, 07:15 AM   #5  
Joe_F
I believe it's pretty easy on the Fords. The column is clamshelled. Once you separate the halves, the part stares you right in the face and is a couple of screws from what I remember.

But, pick up a repair manual as suggested if autolibrary.org is not full of the needed details.

How are you sure the switch is bad?

06-07-03, 08:06 PM   #6  
replace radio 1992 dodge ram 50

hi;my radio stopped working so I need to replace it .how do I remove the the old radio from my 1992 ram 50 truck?Got a new radio to put in it's place.

thanks

mike

Visiting Guest

06-08-03, 06:28 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Taurus poster:

Has the problem been fixed?

Ram 50 guy:
Check the link in my signature file below.

Search this Thread