On and off no spark.......

Old 05-28-03, 08:55 PM
truckdrivinfool
Visiting Guest
On and off no spark.......

So I buy an 87 Olds Delta 88 from my MIL wife drives it for awhile and it starts to cut out. Buddy who works for the Lexus dealer in town looks at it and replaces the crank sensor and cam sensor. Runs good for a few weeks then starts to cut out again then up and dies. I replace the coil since it has no spark. Car runs good for another couple weeks starts cutting out again until it finally up and dies again, before I can get around to checking for spark she gets another car to drive and the battery goes dead. Car sits for 6 months, finally get a new battery go to check for spark and the damm thing fires up and runs. Ran it for 1/2 hr, shut it off, won't start, so I check for spark again, this time no spark. Now everynow and then it will start and run but cuts out like crazy and ocassioanlly pops/backfire? through the intake. Engine light never comes on (except when cranking to start so bulbs not burnt) and never gives a code.

Any ideas? Man I hate this car.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-03, 09:47 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Sounds like the magnet that triggers the cam sensor could have slipped out of its holder. It's a common problem. You have to pull the timing chain cover in order to inspect/replace the magnet.

Looks & sounds like a difficult job, but in reality it's easy.

You may want to have a pro check the cam sensor signal with an oscilloscope before you rip in to the engine. No signal or an erratic signal indicates a bad or missing magnet.

Old 05-28-03, 09:51 PM
truckdrivinfool
Visiting Guest
But wouldn't I get a cam sensor code from a missing magnet? Only ask because the Park Ave the wifes driving now has the magnet missing and kicks the code for it. Same motor only a year newer. She likes the PA so I know I get to tear that one apart sooner or later.

Old 05-28-03, 09:55 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
No, you won't get a code.

The '88 uses a '3800' engine. The '87 uses a 3.8L engine.

The engine control system in the '88 is more advanced than the '87 model. The '88-up models will run w/o a cam sensor signal.

The early models will not unless BOTH cam and crank sensor signals are present.

Old 05-28-03, 09:57 PM
truckdrivinfool
Visiting Guest
Ahaaaaaaaaa. Bit in the rear by a year. Thanks

Old 05-28-03, 09:58 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
also

If you end up pulling the timing chain cover to replace the magnet, make sure you replace the timing chain, gears and tensioner. These are known to fail before 100k miles & these engines bend valves and pushrods when the chain breaks!

A new water pump would be a good idea too, since you'll have it off already anyway.

Old 05-28-03, 09:59 PM
truckdrivinfool
Visiting Guest
Thanks again. Had planned it since these are both at 150k+

Old 05-28-03, 10:12 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
You're more than welcome.

I've done this job on LOTS of 3.8s & 3800s. Clearance LOOKS tight, but there's more than enough room to do this job.

You have to drop the oil pan to remove the timing cover. This is an excellent time to remove the pan entirely and clean the crap off the bottom. You should also inspect/clean/replace the oil pump pickup screen, especially on the '87.

The '87-older 3.8s have a crappy oiling system. The pickup screen has a very fine mesh that is prone to clogging, and a gear type pump that is prone to failure.

The '88-up 3800s use a somewhat improved pickup screen and a vastly improved gerotor type oil pump. They are more tolerant of sludge in the pan, but it's still worth your time to completely remove the pan and inspect/clean/replace the screen.

These are my favorite FWD GM cars from the late '80s-early '90s. They ride well, handle reasonably well, have lots of room, are pretty trouble free except for the above prob. & the awful TH440-T4 transmission and they're DIRT CHEAP. Who could ask for more?

Old 05-29-03, 05:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A rear wheel drive GM which is far superior . LOL

Knuckles has you right on, 100% on this. If the chain goes you WILL waste the engine. I have seen that happen on a 1987 Olds 98 with a 3.8L engine.

The parts are dirt cheap for this as this is the "Buick" V6 still in use today. As Knuckles said, they are reasonable vehicles to work on.

Knuckles: I'd hardly call these "favorites" compared to my rear drivers, but they are pretty good .

Search this Thread