small block fit a 4barrel caddy carb????

Old 05-28-03, 09:16 PM
small block fit a 4barrel caddy carb????

I have a 305 chevy small block in a 1950 dodge truck(in the process of rodding it ) it only has a single barrel carb on it, I have a 4barrel off of an early 70's caddy, is there a kit i can use to bolt it on or will it just bolt on????? also is it worth it to change the interals of the 305( out of a 1980 chev truck) to mod it out or just get a 350 or another more powerful small block????

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-03, 09:38 PM
truckdrivinfool
Visiting Guest
Not sure about the one barrel to a four barrel. Know you can get adapters for mounting 2 barrels on 4 barrel manifolds not sure if they go the other way.

Either way if your gonna rod it I'd chuck the 305 and go with the 350 in a heartbeat. And if you do that put a 4 barrel intake on.

Old 05-28-03, 10:14 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
1 barrel 305 ?

Hmmm. GM never sold a modern V-8 with a 1 barrel carb. Are you sure it's not a 2 barrel?

The early '70s 4 barrel Caddy carb will physically fit if you swap to a 4 barrel intake manifold, but I doubt it would offer much of a performance boost on a stock 305.

Old 05-28-03, 10:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can build a tire burning rod out of a 305, but you can go further and would be HP ahead if you start with a 350. You really can't ever get a 305 to do what a 350 can. Knuckles is correct...no 1bbl on a 305....2 bbl, yes. You can buy an adapter plate to put a 4bbl on it, but it won't do any good. You have heads made for a 2bbl setup for one thing. The adapter also doesn't give proper airflow from a 4bbl. If you change the manifold to a 4bbl setup it might be a bit better, but still not enough power difference to make the swap worthwhile. If you want to rod the truck, pitch the 305 and pick up a 350. GM has high performance crate motors. That would be a worthwhile option if you are looking for a mild performance engine.

You do intend on updating the rest of the truck, right? You have 4 wheel drum brakes, which would not be too good on a hot rod truck, lol. You do want to be able to stop. Your rear-end will also need to be checked for durability, and suspension/steering on those trucks wasn't built for rodding either.

Old 01-15-04, 03:04 PM
car_boy_16
Visiting Guest
I seen his carb, it REALLY is 1 barrel. You guys said Gm never had a 1 barrel carb, but they did. I believe it's a Rochester carb, but I would have to look again to make sure, my memory is not the best. Keep in mind, I dont believe this was original equipment on this 305, I believe it was from an older GM 6-cylinder. I say change the manifold and carb, better yet change the whole damned engine out.

Last edited by car_boy_16; 01-15-04 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-15-04, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by car_boy_16
I seen his carb, it REALLY is 1 barrel. You guys said Gm never had a 1 barrel carb, but they did. I believe it's a Rochester carb, but I would have to look again to make sure, my memory is not the best.
Not on a V8

Old 01-15-04, 03:17 PM
car_boy_16
Visiting Guest
Yep, I forgot to add that, I edited mine to imply that it was from a 6cylidner probably.

Old 01-15-04, 03:18 PM
The post is from may why are you answering it now carboy?Weekend warrior never made a second post on the topic.

Old 01-15-04, 05:24 PM
car_boy_16
Visiting Guest
Ohh I forgot I was searching lol....Sorry about resurecting the old thread...It's just Im his cousin and I seen the carb, boy does it look funny.
Yeah he never really makes a "thank you" post after he gets his answer, which is rude, but he is thankful believe me.