Horn works when car is off, but not when car is on

Old 05-29-03, 05:07 AM
Horn works when car is off, but not when car is on

Hi...i have a '90 Geo Tracker and the horn works when the car is off, however, when i turn it to ACC ( and of course when it's cranked and running) it doesn't work. Then, when i turn key back to LOCK (after it was @ ACC or ON), it still doesn't work. But, when i remove the key it works again. Then when i insert the key again, it works as long as it stays in the LOCK position. Weird problem, but i saw nothing like it in the search i ran. Thx for the help in Advance

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-03, 05:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have you looked at a wiring schmatic for it????

Old 05-29-03, 03:12 PM
I agree with Joe but I'm curious to know if a remote start or aftermarket alarm has been installed on your Tracker.

Old 05-30-03, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys. I don't know how but i played with the fuses (a wiggle did it...don't know how), and it seems to work now. To answer Davo's Q, no it has no new wiring except my radio (that i installed...which i rewired off the horn). But there are a couple of new problems i have questions about. Unfortunately the Autolibrary link that Joe suggests doesn't have info on Tracker's...it has Storm's and Prizm's, but no Trackers. Is there another source of free info on auto's, that i might be able to find stuff on the Tracker? Or should i keep bothering U guys?

Old 05-31-03, 12:36 AM
catalin
Visiting Guest
What other questions do you have Quark, maybe I can help you out.

Old 05-31-03, 06:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Wiring the radio off of the horn???? Aye, that doesn't seem right. Always follow the radio manufacturer's instructions for installation, don't deviate.

Try Suzuki Sidekick in the Autolibrary.org site. The Tracker is the same heap with a different badge.

If that fails, a $25 Alldata.com subscription would do. What is the actual question?

Old 05-31-03, 05:55 PM
Thx...i've posted my new question here for anyone who runs a search for a similar problem. Joe...i wired the radio to the fusebox ( in my pre-multimeter days ) a couple of years ago 1) for simplicity, 2) the manual is more like a pamphlet and 3) because the previous owner mutilated the radio wiring instead of getting an adapter bracket...but i did get the horn straightened out on my heap.

Old 06-01-03, 06:18 AM
2 posts same area you need a multifunction switch,which is answered in your other post.Please post all info on the vehicle under the same subject you would be suprised at the connections between systems.

Old 06-01-03, 11:33 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Umm, I usually think I have seen it all, and then something like that comes along. I'd fix that quick because as Davo says, you'd be surprised what electrical gremlins come up in the future!

Ya, those are poor quality, bottom barrel vehicles .