No oil Reading

Old 05-29-03, 07:30 AM
jabari
Visiting Guest
No oil Reading

I Checked my oil & there was no oil in my dip stick. I have a 95 S-10. I cranked my truck up & it and checked oil was in it but could not read wethere it was in normal operating range. I aslo saw some black thick sludge on the end of my oil dipstick. There was no blue somke coming from exhaust. Valve stems have been changed along with head gaskets. What could be causing this to happen. It is also time for a Oil Change could this be my problem.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-03, 09:02 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It's either burning it or leaking it.

Have you added oil? You will ruin the engine in short order running low on oil.

Old 05-29-03, 09:44 AM
jabari
Visiting Guest
Ok.

If I am Burning oil what would be my best bet. I have already done a top end rebuild on it.
A. Should I do a bottom end rebuild
B. Should I get a rebulit motor
C. Should I pull the weak 2.2L out and go with a 6 or a 8 cylinder engine.

I can do the work myself since I am attending automotive School Starting Engine & Transmission next Class.
Thanks

Old 05-29-03, 02:50 PM
I would install a rebuilt for the warrant aspect but you could use it as a class project and start from scratch again.Don't start swapping you can get in deep with no return on the money you will spend.

Old 05-29-03, 03:09 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Option B is the only real way to go. See your friendly GM dealer for a reman Goodwrench engine.

Keep the engine stock and replace it with what the GM parts books recommend as a replacement part #.

Old 05-30-03, 01:29 AM
Nexxus
Visiting Guest
First thing's first, change your oil! If it's been long enough for the oil to be called black thick sludge, then you definitely need it. It also wouldn't surprise me that your oil is low after going so long without an oil change. Most cars are going to slowly burn oil during the daily grind. So my suggestion is to just start with an oil change. If, a week later the oil level has dropped significantly, then i would start worrying about the serious troubleshooting.