Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

95' Grand-Am 2.3 quad4 sluggish

Visiting Guest

05-29-03, 04:16 PM   #1  
diode
95' Grand-Am 2.3 quad4 sluggish

My 95' Pontiac Grand-Am starts fine but after 35 to 60 seconds it misses badly and only responds to 3/4 or more throttle or idle(rough though it is) after 30 to 60 seconds of that, it is fine until the next time I drive it. I have managed to live with this problem over the last 100,000 miles. I know it is not air filter,fuel filter,fuel pump or any component of the ignition tower. Does this engine have a PCV valve or EGR valve and could any body tell me what the sensor located inline on a 3/4" hose connected between the crank case and bottom of the breather is and how it works it has rubbery probes extending off each end which makes me think temp sensor? I would really appreciate your collective inputs.

Sponsored Links

05-29-03, 06:12 PM   #2  
Check to see if there's a TSB for your year/make quad-4 concerning an oil pump relief valve problem. I ran across a simliar problem and found there was a TSB. Seems the relief valve sticks, cause excessive oil pressure, which over pumps the lifters. This then causes the the valves to unseat resulting in a tremendous engine miss. The car I was working on was a mid-90's (can't remember exactly) Buick with a quad-4.. Sorry to say, the repair isn't your average "DYI" repair in the driveway..

Visiting Guest

05-29-03, 09:13 PM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree.

Visiting Guest

05-31-03, 12:22 PM   #4  
diode
Thanks guys for your input. I actually ran into that oil pump problem back when the car was new. The dealer put a gauge on my engine and it pegged the dial at 200 psi. I thought of a couple of other clues that might be important. One is 2 days after this miss started my catalitic converter went into thermal meltdown and two I am forever cleaning a yellow stain off the back of the car. Another Question: Could the crankcase ventilation heater cause this problem? I really don't know how it works

Visiting Guest

05-31-03, 01:11 PM   #5  
Joe_F
Have a look in autolibrary.org below in my signature file for starters.

If the converter is wasted, you will get a lack of power like that.

Visiting Guest

05-31-03, 01:21 PM   #6  
diode
The converter was gutted until I can correct the problem. I hope like the oil pump issue that someone in your forum has seen this on the Quad 4 engine.

05-31-03, 02:37 PM   #7  
As Joe said, this could take some reading at one of his links...I know Alldata offers some good info for drivabiltity problems by symptoms.. I do know the car won't run much better with a gutted convertor.. OBDII reads exhuast much closer tan the old cars did..

Search this Thread