Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Anyone fluent in 1980 Toyota??

Visiting Guest

05-29-03, 06:17 PM   #1  
pattimelt
Anyone fluent in 1980 Toyota??

No mechanical problems.

No real physical problems.

Stupid problem.

Driver's side seatbelt is frayed to the point of being held together by about 10 threads. Need to find new one, but REFUSE to pay $250 at dealer for new one.

What vehicles have compatible parts that I could find at the junkyard/pick your part place?? I REALLY need this now, as I have been trying to find one for the past 4 months, and today I got pulled over for the shredded thang.

I have no problem with installation, as I am not clueless.

Can anyone help??

Thanks!!!

patti

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-29-03, 09:09 PM   #2  
Joe_F
You should be glad that the belt it still available and plunk down the 250 in a heartbeat without question. American cars of this vintage? Belts are all obsolete.

If your life isn't worth the $250 for the proper seatbelt, scrap the vehicle. A junkyard belt could cost you you life in an accident. Replace the bad one with a new OEM Toyota belt without question right away.

On vintage classics, there is a company called SnakeOyl products who rewebs belts. Fat chance they do the Takata style Toyota belt though.

Up the ante and get the OEM belt. Get the part # from Toyota and try a few dealers, and parts.com but they will all be within a few bucks of each other.

And yes, installation is VERY important. You should use new fasteners as the old ones are probably wasted from age and that too could cost you your life in an accident.

Safety belts=nothing to chance, nothing to gamble with.

The life you save would be your own or someone else who you might crash into.

Search this Thread