Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Question about a Honda Auto trans

Visiting Guest

05-29-03, 08:44 PM   #1  
tommyg12
Question about a Honda Auto trans

Every now and then I get the opportunity to buy late model cars with salvaged titles to tinker with or sell as parts. I picked up a '02 Civic the other day that really just needs a hood, bumper, right fender and the frame pulled slightly. The only serious problem is that something knocked a chip out of the right side trans cover.

The car runs, drives, and shifts perfect (only has 1000 miles). I can get a new cover from Honda for $140, but has anybody taken on something like this before? I don't really care about the longevity of the trans because if it breaks I can just part the car out, but the only way to repair the hole is to replace the cover. I would like to talk to somebody thats opened up one of these trannys so that I can be on the lookout for the gotchas. Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-29-03, 08:57 PM   #2  
Joe_F
They're totalled for a reason---more wrong with it than you think . 2002 cars don't total easily, there's hidden damage to that one.

You can probably find another used tranny in the yard and just swap it all over. That's what I'd do.

As for the pulling of the frame, chances are it will always be subpar. Remember insurance companies don't want to total out vehicles (it costs them money), so if it's totalled, it's usually pretty wasted.

Visiting Guest

05-29-03, 09:32 PM   #3  
tommyg12
Thanks for the input. So in your opinion it is easier to swap the complete trans than to replace the cover first? I know about the hidden aspects of salvaged cars, but I am driving a practically new car for less than a quarter of the cost, including the replacement parts. This car is a toy for me, nothing more. I just don't want to take the four bolts out, drop the cover off , and then have a bunch of springs and fasteners scattered about and have a car that was just driving five minutes ago but now won't go anywhere.

I guess I'll be swapping trannys or parting out if that happens.

Visiting Guest

05-29-03, 09:52 PM   #4  
Joe_F
If the cover's replaceable go that route. You can probably find it through an online Honda dealer (Like Manchester Honda) for less or through parts.com through one of their dealers.

Again, consider the car completely dangerous until you have gone through it soup to nuts. Remember, they are totalled for a reason.

It's not a "new" car, it's a headache/moneypit waiting to happen. Unfortunately, almost everyone that thinks they score here pays more than the cost of a good used one in the end. .

Search this Thread