Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

97 Grand Prix- Wipers pause mid of windshield

Visiting Guest

05-30-03, 11:03 AM   #1  
dishguy
97 Grand Prix- Wipers pause mid of windshield

The windshield wipers work normally in continuous setting but when set on any "intermittent" setting, they have their pause at middle of windshield! Very distracting /dangerous.
Is this most likely due to the "multifunction" control on the steering column? I am an electronics technician and am wondering if this is something I could get into myself and repair or if not really repairable, is it something I can purchase other than at a dealer (high prices) and would it be possilbe without special tools to make the replacement? Would there be a reference manual that would "walk" me thru this process?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

05-30-03, 11:39 AM   #2  
Joe_F
The reference manual would be a GM service manual or $25.00 Alldata.com subscription.

Alldata.com turns up this one: 73-82-05A APR 98 Wipers - Park At Incorrect Location . You can see any GM dealer and have them print off a full copy to see if the symptoms match yours. If so, you'll know what the fix is.

No the only parts source is the dealer. No, it's not a DIY repair if the column switch is bad. The air bag is involved and requires a special disconnect procedure.

Visiting Guest

05-30-03, 12:05 PM   #3  
darrell McCoy
sometime in 2000 I think there began a recall on this, pertains to arms and linkages. If you didnt get one, maybe lost in shuffle or you bought car used. Take this number in to the dealer
99V348000 see if he smiles or frowns, describe problem and you may get a freebie.

06-01-03, 09:59 AM   #4  
dishguy, I highly recommend the www.alldatadiy.com yearly subscription for $25. It includes the service manual,diagnostics,wiring diagram and all the Service Bulletins for your car. You can sign up right now and use it immediately and print out all the info. The last car I worked on for this type of problem turned out to be a bad wiper motor...the park switch inside the motor was bad..that was on a Ford. Looks like the switch is about $325 list...ouch! It should be available from the aftermarket...call around to the local auto parts stores. If you need a motor I DO NOT recommend any rebuilds from A1 Cardone-they're junk...buy a brand new one. You will find cheaper prices for your genuine GM parts at www.gmpartsdirect.com as it looks like they sell the switch for around $165.

Visiting Guest

06-01-03, 10:45 AM   #5  
Joe_F
I'd go with Darrell's suggestion and have the dealer check those bulletins/recalls.

I also agree with Stevo on the Alldata if you need to tackle it yourself.

Search this Thread