Recommended Cars

Old 05-16-03, 04:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recommended Cars

About a month ago I posted re: Head Gasket Problem with Taurus 3.8 Litre -- Naturally it is shot.

We are in O K shape as we have a 2002 Windstar, but would like, and have had 2 cars for over 20 years.

Am now retired and the cash flow is not what it was (joys of retirement) -

Am from Canada, so prices are different than in the U S.

Can anyone suggest a vehicle (used) that would tend to be reliable and cause not too many problems in the $7,000 range?

Old 05-16-03, 04:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I'm going to beat Joe Cool to the punch on this one.

Find a good 4-5 year old Toyota Corolla.

Old 05-16-03, 05:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. But, it depends on what you want.

Size of vehicle? Utility? Age? 2 or 4 wheel drive? Station wagon? American or foreign? Stylish or boxlike? Sporty or farty?

etc, etc, etc.

You could get anything from a 1979 Trans Am (yay! ) to a Geo Metro for 7 grand. Depends on what you want.

Old 05-16-03, 04:08 PM
J
Well, of course I would say mustang gt but...

I picked up a used 54k toyota tacoma for 8900=$200 a month on payments

if you want a cheap beater that will last a million years, can't go wrong with a toyota

Old 05-17-03, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the replies - We will try to get by with one car for a while -- We live "very rural" so there is not much of a selection out there.
Had a look at the paper for car ads - new - and wow!!! - cost well above what we paid for our first house -
Honda Civic - base price here is $17,500 plus taxes, freight etc. etc.
Hyundai (sp) are cheaper - for the entry level unit but have never heard how they perform - not too well I imagine.
Maybe I can find a Trans Am in a barn that no one has any need for Joe - and then the wife can be " The little old lady from Pasedena" - don't mention the old lady part to her.

Take care and thanks again.

Old 05-17-03, 06:52 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Stranger things have happened . Good luck.

Old 05-17-03, 03:13 PM
M
My 2 cents

I would get a Toyota maybe a Camary or Corolla they seem to last forever. I am sure there are people that would not agree because they are anti Foreign car for what reason I don't know but that is my two cents.
I have had both and still do I have a Buick and two Toyotas.The Buick a 96 skylark is junk electrical problems,windows leak water you name it.

Old 05-18-03, 05:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
My .03 :

If you want reliable performance and overall good value, a Corolla or Camry will do. But they are about as stylish as having root canal or driving your dishwasher around .

They get the job done, but styling and performance have a lot left to be desired. However, not everyone is into that.

I have owned numerous small American cars. None are a problem. Knuckles has also owned the same--cars we've salvaged or gotten from relatives or what not.

I can honestly say that my Chevy Cavalier has been pretty decent overall and is easy to fix, along with parts being cheap (something you won't find in a Toyota).

I think while Toyota is a solid car, I believe their quality has slipped a bit, and their styling surely has too. LOL. That's a matter of opinion.

My neighbors (both mechanics) have 1993 to 1997 Corollas and one has a 2001 Corolla Type S. While the Type S is a sporty little number, it's very tinny and cheap compared to the 1993 Corolla his brother has.

Old 05-18-03, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
You're still in an age bracket where styling and performance are more important than value and reliability, Joe! LOL

Give it another 10 years and Toyotas may be more appealing to you.

Old 05-18-03, 04:54 PM
I got a sunfire by accident. It has been reliable and cheap. The only complaint I have is that the oil filter is a pain. You cant go wrong with Toyotas either. Toyota parts can get pretty expensive. As far as getting old goes, my dad is getting up threre and just got a Mustang GT for a "toy" he has it up to about 400HP so far, some people just dont care about that stuff.

Old 05-19-03, 09:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
TowGuy:

I believe you are talking about my Trans Am. Reliable, stylish, performs and easy to fix .

Same with my Oldsmobile 88 .

Seen the prices of those 2nd gen T/A's lately ? Cost MORE than they did in 1979!

Old 05-19-03, 02:15 PM
M
but is it practical

Trans am is a cool car and would be great as a hobby car to keep and wash and wax and show off in. But to me a 48 year old fart I need something practical and GOOD on fuel.
A go to market kind of car.Trans am is really not a family car but it is a great go fast quick car. I guess it is all about what you need the need for speed or the need to get from point A to point B cheaply and reliabley.The newer Camrys and Hondas are pretty nice lots of nice to have things in them like premium sound systems and leather seats. I guess I am just getting old but I still want a 55 Chevy Pickup with a smallblock with a turbo 400 trans.OH yea I will get one before I am 60.That will be my hobby truck.

Old 05-19-03, 04:38 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Michael:

That's why I own six cars . I'd love to find a halfway decent F car for commuting with T tops. It would be fun to be stuck in traffic .

Old 05-20-03, 04:59 AM
My ½ cent... I'd look for a low milage Buick LeSabre, or Park Avenue.. Good dependable cars, nice rides, good features (creature comforts,) and low maintenance..Not sure about in Canada, but around here, they can be found in the 6,000-10,000 range or less if the milage is high..

Old 05-20-03, 07:55 AM
J
trans am not a family car??? last time I checked it could fit four people, and possibly a 5th(kid in the center seat)

The hatch back/trunk should be plenty big enough to fit grocerys.

Just my .02, but nothing bugs me more than a full sized suv or huge family car being driven around with a couple with one kid.

Anyhow, this is what I have told and still tell my wife. My mustangs have 4 seats, the child seat can go in the back. I see no reason to buy any other car, other than for possibly fuel economy.

She is fine with that, and wound up buying the family car herself (still no kids though)

Anyhow, I don't think that styling and performance are one thing to be EVER traded in for reliability and value..as part of getting older is being able to afford that more expensive FASTER car IE bmw m5 (not there yet)

Old 05-21-03, 08:06 AM
pon1
Visiting Guest
Smile Good Used Car

I believe Knanuk's original request was for "a vehicle (used) that would tend to be reliable and cause not too many problems in the $7,000 range?" I don't see anything in there about "stylish" One other avenue may be to consult the latest consumers reports edition on new/used cars. They usually have some decent (albiet conservative) recommendations on cars.

Old 05-21-03, 08:51 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
True. But when you can have it all .

Old 05-21-03, 08:25 PM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
cars

I think $7,000 can. is equal to about $4,000 US. You ask a good question I might go with a chevy lumina.

Old 05-22-03, 06:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You can also check Consumer Reports "Best Used Car to Buy". They have pricing ranges there to guide you.

(Such as best used cars for under 2k, 3k, 4k, etc).

Old 05-23-03, 10:02 AM
Update ---- Yesterday morning I decided to e-mail the owner of the Ford Dealership where we have dealt for approx.10 years, and expressed my displeasure with my Taurus and also that I would not be "thinking Ford" for any future car purchases.

Salesman phoned me, car was towed , at their expense , to the dealership where, if it is the head gasket it will be repaired at no charge to me - salesman was not sure about my having to pay for fluids.

I know that this is not yet fixed and, who knows what story they may have, but it is a start.
Thanks for all your replies -- will let you know how things progress.

Old 05-23-03, 03:23 PM
pon1
Visiting Guest
Good job! I hope all goes well.

Old 05-29-03, 03:39 PM
Finally a Break!!!!

Heard from the Ford Dealership - and they agree that it is the head gasket - they will repair it free - both labour and parts.

They said that Ford is not "helping" them, but are doing it on their own to keep me as a satisfied customer.

Sometimes we get lucky, and this is surely one of them.

Take care all

Old 05-29-03, 09:17 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ford's not helping them, ummm uh huh, ok

Whatever, it's a free repair. Ford 3.8's have known head gasket woes (among other things).

Old 05-30-03, 03:29 AM
I find it "odd", to say the least that there is no input from Ford -- however I don't really give a darn - at least it is being fixed at no charge - should be able to get a little bit more use of it before it goes again.

Now if I can only win the Lottery !!

Take care

Old 05-30-03, 12:44 PM
In Bama
Visiting Guest
Chevrolet Cavalier

My 2000 Chevy Cavalier Coupe 2.2L, 3 speed auto is a great basic car and I have 47,000 and some odd miles on it. I have had absolutely no problems out of this car. Plus I average 33 mpg (usa) And it has so much room! I am 6 feet tall and very overweight and the leg room is something else for a basic car. You can get a used car such as this (I'm not selling, I love mine!) for around $6000 - $8000.

Old 05-30-03, 04:09 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Original poster: Good for you. I wouldn't care either. Ford's problem, not yours. Maybe they'll learn their lesson and make a good engine for once. LOL .

I too like my Chevy Cavalier, it's easy to fix, good on fuel, has 27,000 miles, in good shape, "loaded" and best of all it was free .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: