car shudders

Old 05-31-03, 08:07 PM
jamal
Visiting Guest
car shudders

93 pontiac grand am sedan V6 engine. Starts to shudder like going over rough road and idle drops - when I hit the gas it stops, but have to do it almost every ten to fifteen minutes. Took it to a shop - they worked on it 5 hours! - said they couldn't find out what was causing problem. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-03, 06:04 AM
I'm guessing you are describing a misfire and need to see a different shop.The place you went to apparently is a backyard shop.Did they feel the condition?A 10 to 15 minute roadtest isn't all that bad you know.I have driven cars for hours to duplicate the customers concern.I hope you didn't pay 5 hours labor for nothing.I suggest taking to a Pontiac dealer they know the car best.Anyone know why dealerships are the last stop autoshop?

Old 06-01-03, 06:33 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Yep Davo: Most think labor and parts are to high, BUT in the long run and in the end, it is the cheapest way to go. Dealers do have the proper testing equip and know how. Some just have to spend a ton of $ elsewhere before they realize this.

Old 06-01-03, 07:14 AM
I work at a dealership our hourly rate is only 53 bucks,expert tire down the block a bridgestone subsiduary is at 75 bucks,tell me whom the theif is lol.

Old 06-01-03, 07:15 AM
jamal
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info, guys. The shop was V.I.P. and they did road test it. They still had no idea. Would a new IAC valve do the trick?

Old 06-01-03, 07:24 AM
Could you explain the problem in more detail please?

Old 06-01-03, 08:15 AM
Might be a lock-up torque convertor problem?

Old 06-01-03, 11:24 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Original poster:

You could change parts until the cows come home and still not fix the problem. Can't throw parts at the problem, you'll spend more than this thing could ever be worth.

The problem you describe is too vague for us to help. Please see "read here before posting" at the top of the forum page for what we need from you and post back.

Old 06-01-03, 03:48 PM
jamal
Visiting Guest
I've tried the basics and the other dot com suggestions - can't find the same problem. When I hit the gas to increase speed, the car starts to shudder - I quickly take my foot off the gas and hit it again and it stops - for a few minutes. The RPM is at 1.5 when it shudders, goes up to 2 when it stops. As long as I keep my foot on the gas (going up hill for instance) no shuddering. When the car levels off, it shudders again.

It's a 93 Pontiac Grand Am sedan with a V6 engine (3.3). (Sorry, but I don't know what other info you need). The mileage is over 100,000, but the shuddering is the only problem I have with it.

Old 06-01-03, 09:56 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

GM had a problem with the Mass Airflow Sensors on these cars.

Unplug the MAF & drive the car. If the problem goes away, replace the MAF. If you are the original owner, you *may* be able to get some goodwill assistance from GM for this repair. It's a common problem & GM was making good on them for a time.

Use only a NEW GM MAF or an AC-Delco part as aftermarket remanufactured units vary greatly in quality.

Old 06-02-03, 02:08 PM
jamal
Visiting Guest
Knuckles - Thanks for the info - much appreciated - will try what you suggest - Here's hoping!!